Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as to whether you always, sometimes, or never wear armor when you ride?

I have various jackets with armor pockets that cover all the seasons down to 40F but in the summer it's just boots, jeans, and a T-shirt. Yes, a helmet is required in NJ. The rest of the time it's a jacket but the armor sits at home. I'm an older dude riding fair weather and daylight primarily.

Comments

·
Registered
102 Posts
We all should but.......... sometimes a quick ride around town on my grom I don’t. But when I ride the rebel , I usually use the freeway, I do armor up.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am a similar rider to you, CDL. Always armour. I did ride once with tee shirt and shorts in hot weather. It was luuuuvly! But never again.

·
Registered
349 Posts
It's so hot and humid here that a T shirt is too hot. Wearing a jacket isn't going to happen unless it's early spring or late fall.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm still not into daily rides yet but the Joe Rocket stuff has been great so far. A 2 1/2 hour ride in 90+ temps was no problem and I'm a fatty. I got pants so I won't freeze on the after work rides home ( 2:00AM ) since I wear shorts at work, but I haven't tried them on that ride yet since I haven't ridden to work for quite a while and am having trouble figuring out what to do with the gear while I'm at work, it won't all go into a 45L Givi top case.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Always. Fully perforated leather jacket isn't so bad in the heat. It gets warm at stoplights but it keeps the sun off you and once you're moving the air flows right through it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Always armor, because you never know. I have a Joe Rider jacket that I wear basically 3 seasons, with vents, and take out liner, then i have a Icon Mesh jacket-still with armor, that i wear when it's 90+ in the summer.

I often have people ask me why i wear all that gear when it's hot out, and reply is always the same: safety. I want every chance possible if I go down that I do the least amount of damage to my body. i'm not kidding myself in thinking i'm indestructible but I do'nt wanna regret not wearing something if that ever happens to me.
(just my opinions obviously, to each their own)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I always wear protection or I don't ride. I rode my Can-Am Spyder with just a T-shirt (hi vis) but still felt very unprotected. With my Rebel 500, I wait for cooler weather or I don't ride in hot humid heat. I have a mesh jacket and all but I am overweight, diabetic and I sweat alot. I don't like sweating profusely while riding so I wait until cooler weather to where I can truly enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have three jackets with armor, but when the humidity is 70% and the temp is 90 degrees before 10am, they never get worn. And that's just a typical day here, maybe by November I'll put one on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm an ATGATT kind of guy. For hot weather, a mesh jacket and riding jeans, both with armor. For cooler weather, leather.

Totally agreed with some of the others on this thread: if it's too uncomfortable to wear full gear, it's not worth riding.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I always wear armor. Unless it's hot. ;)

Everyone should wear the amount of safety gear they feel comfortable with at least within the law.

Yes AGATT is safer. Sitting at home on your sofa is the safest, but where's the fun in that?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I applaud the wearing of armor. But if you lived here you'd understand not wearing it. Wearing a hot jacket limits your riding to a few rare days a year and that ain't enough for me. Gloves, helmet and heavy boots always, but a jacket? No.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ATGATT for me too. Helmet with Snell certification, jacket with armor at shoulder, elbow and back, motorcycle jeans with aramid fiber and knee armor, motorcycle specific shoes/boots, and gloves.

I live in Southern California where we only have to deal with heat. Humidity is not problem out here. For me, full gear up to 80 degrees is bearable. Above that I use a cooling vest that makes the ride quite bearable for about 90 minutes up to 90+ degrees.

My understanding is that it's better to wear a mesh jacket rather than just a t-shirt. Without the jacket, your sweat evaporates too fast so you get no cooling benefit from evaporation. Wicking t-shirts and mesh pants are supposed to help, so I'm looking into those options now.

On the flip side, when the temp drops to 65 or lower, I'm actually chilly riding with my mesh gear, so I'll be looking for cool to cold weather gear in the coming months.

I lived in the Nashville area for a few years so I know there's no defense against high humidity other than stay indoors with the AC running.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Haha, yeah I'm originally from the San Joaquin valley, the heat there wasn't hard to live with. But living here is like being in a sauna......with gnats.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's so hot and humid here that a T shirt is too hot. Wearing a jacket isn't going to happen unless it's early spring or late fall.
the jackets that are on the market that are for summer riding don't help at all unless you are on the highway with constant air flowing. When I'm on the street I ride dirty, but ass boo boo naked. When on the highway I'm geared to the max!! And before anyone decides to throw accident statistics regarding Highway and surface streets, I already know them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts