Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I replaced the stock levers, I had to back off the adjustment on the engine side of the cable - make it tighter, that is. Now, after about 4 months, my clutch cable went loose in the middle of a ride. Fortunately, I pulled over next to smog check station where they loaned me a wrench. Nothing had come loose, so it appears the cable just suddenly stretched on its own. The attached image shows how far back it's now adjusted. The adjustment at the lever, BTW, is already pretty far out as well. Should I replace the cable?

Out of curiosity, how long can you expect a clutch cable to last? My Rebel is less than 6 months old.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
After I replaced the stock levers, I had to back off the adjustment on the engine side of the cable - make it tighter, that is. Now, after about 4 months, my clutch cable went loose in the middle of a ride. Fortunately, I pulled over next to smog check station where they loaned me a wrench. Nothing had come loose, so it appears the cable just suddenly stretched on its own. The attached image shows how far back it's now adjusted. The adjustment at the lever, BTW, is already pretty far out as well. Should I replace the cable?

Out of curiosity, how long can you expect a clutch cable to last? My Rebel is less than 6 months old.
Well I'm at two years on mine and have most of the adjustment still to go. I also have different levers but didn't have to do anything like you did to get them to fit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cables generally last years. There is something odd/wrong somewhere along the line. Can you inspect the cable terminals for changes?
I found what must be the problem (see the attached image). When I replaced the stock clutch lever with an adjustable one, I must have tweaked the end of the cable and it eventually started to fail. Unfortunately, no one local had a replacement cable in stock so I had to order one. It should be in Tuesday or Wednesday, then I can ride again. It's such a shame too; the weather has been perfect for riding.

Question for the wrenchers - should get some lube and one of the cable luber tools or do these things come pre-lubed? Any words of wisdom before replace the cable?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Glad it is sorted. Can't help with lubing except I use engine oil, and rarely. But you do have the chance to set it up properly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah, it looks like I was just a handful of shifts away from the cable snapping. Got the new cable yesterday and the install was pretty easy. I did unbolt the tank and propped it up just enough to get my fingers in there to guide the new cable along the proper path. This time around, I made sure not to tweak the cable.

There are a ton of videos showing how to adjust the clutch cable, but I could not find any help with how to thread the new cable into place. In case it helps anyone who needs to replace their clutch cable, I found it easiest to push the lever end of the cable into the opening under the tank. From there, I slowly pushed the cable further inward while guiding the tip of the cable with my fingers to the exit point near the front fork. After the new cable was properly threaded into place, I lubed it up, then finished the install. Even with all my false starts, it only took 45 minutes. I'm sure I could do it again in 20-25 minutes.

BTW, the new cable was only $10 at my local Honda Dealership.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You might have been able to pull the new cable through by attaching the old one to it. I dunno in the case of the Rebel.
Yeah, I thought about giving that a go, but there's that elbow at the one end and I figured it would get hung up. Perhaps if I had cut the elbow off the old one it might have worked. Hopefully I won't have to test that theory for a long time. :smile2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts