Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I’m new to the forum, and this is my first post. I have had my rebel 500 for about 4 months now.

I hate having to stuff things in my pocket; cell phone, wallet, keychain, extra beanie etc., so I decided to make my own saddle bags.

I used 50 cal. Ammo cans. I think they turned out pretty well, and can hold most everyday items. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Looks neat! Now you just gotta mount that 50 cal on the side or something, and you're good to go! It'll be like the bat bike before you know it!

How'd you go about mounting the cases? Just some good'ol spacers and longer bolts?
I see you've gone and done some other mods too, care to enlighten us?

Oh and almost forgot, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lyoko-code, thanks! I would mount one if I had one! I still am planning on painting them black, but it’s too cold to paint anything at the moment. So that’s on hold.

But the other mods are just a burly brand dyna fairing, and then just biltwell grips. Other than that, it’s stock!

I’ll post a separate thread on the fairing this week with pictures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lyoko-code, also forgot, I drilled holes that were the same distance as the holes on the fender, and just used the same bolts to mount them.

It won’t let me edit the post on the mobile site!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
JB,

You are going to have to reinforce the ammo cans. My first attempt I just used fender washers and the can cracked.

When you reinforce the cans put the reinforcement vertically inside the can, no more cracking...

You can't beat the price of ammo cans, I paid $10.00 U.S at Central Tractor.

I saw today that Harbor Freight has the ammo cans for $15.00.

Kenny G

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
kenny I would love to see a picture of how you reinforced the ammo boxes!
Dutch,

I used aluminum bar stock about 1 1/4" wide by 1/8" thick.

For fastening I used 8mm threaded rod, washers Nylok nuts and acorn nuts on the very end to prevent hand injuries when reaching into the box.

The fasteners holding the brace to the box are 6mm bolts with nylok nuts....

If you put the brace crosswise the box still flexes, with the braces running vertically there is no flex at all.

Kenny

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
JB,

You are going to have to reinforce the ammo cans. My first attempt I just used fender washers and the can cracked.

When you reinforce the cans put the reinforcement vertically inside the can, no more cracking...

You can't beat the price of ammo cans, I paid $10.00 U.S at Central Tractor.

I saw today that Harbor Freight has the ammo cans for $15.00.

Kenny G
How have these been working out for you? I had cans on my old bike and thinking do the same on this one.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Where did you obtain the racks that hold the ammo cans?

Kenny G:surprise:
Hello Kenny. I built them myself with aluminum and brazing. I actually made two different sets for varying capacity. All are made so no one can steal them off my bike and can be taken off fast as well.

Here are photos of my third set.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Good Job Tree......

I wonder if I could make them with rivets and bolts? I no longer have brazing torches.

I like the idea that you developed into functional inexpensive saddle bags.

Kenny G

·
Registered
152 Posts
Where did you obtain the racks that hold the ammo cans?

Kenny G:surprise:
Good Job Tree......

I wonder if I could make them with rivets and bolts? I no longer have brazing torches.

I like the idea that you developed into functional inexpensive saddle bags.

Kenny G
Thanks, Kenny! I'm a poor grad student so I have very little resources. I was desperate LOL!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts