Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks great, job well done for a diy, I like how small and compact it is. You'll have to let us know how it stands up to the elements. Did you test how waterproof it was? You could have always gone with some hydrophobic spray as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good to me. Are the white spots the wax?
Heard Otter Wax is pretty good for non-waxed items, though I haven't tried it yet.
I think the wax might be over saturated in some spots. I coated the whole thing, but some of the areas came out looking like white spots.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks great, job well done for a diy, I like how small and compact it is. You'll have to let us know how it stands up to the elements. Did you test how waterproof it was? You could have always gone with some hydrophobic spray as well.
Not yet. We'll have to see how it fairs next time I get caught in the rain or when I wash the bike next time.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Great job, looks good. I'd like to know how you mounted it also. Did you have to use a plate of some sort or did you just mount using the screws that were in place? Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Loki452 looks good mate. How did you mount the bag on the fender?
This particular bag actually had a hard backing material, which was just a type of wood fiber board that was broken. I opened the seam, took out the old material, and put in a plexiglass type of material from my local hardware store. It is supposed to be flexible, 150 times stronger than glass, and shatterproof. Get a thick enough piece, cut it to size, and put the bolt holes in it. Just ran the bolts straight through the bag and new backing material, used 1 inch steel spacers, and it seems to be really sturdy. No problems yet, but we'll see what time has to tell.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, I obviously had to get longer bolts. I went with 50mm length stainless steel bolts. And if I didn't already include them, I used some rubber washers on both sides of the spacer to protect the strut and to hopefully create a waterproof seal around the holes I made in the back of the bag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts