Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the Kuryakn 6345 grips and the throttle grip has a built in throttle tube, but I cannot get the throttle return cable to fit no matter what I try. There just isn't enough slack. Anyone able to install these and, if so, how? I tried disconnecting the throttle body end like with my shadow, but then I couldn't get it back on over there, either. It's like the cable is too short, but that seems impossible. I can't find any videos on YouTube (they attach grips to OEM throttle tubes) and the ones they don't are always 2 strokes without a throttle housing. Someone please save me from my spiral on what seems to be the simplest issue I have ever had working on anything, but easily one of the more frustrating.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
Try removing the 2 Phillips screws that hold the cables just above the throttle body. Install the throttle first then return end on throttle body. The 2 screws that hold the bracket last. Best

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would love to, but one of them is round as **** and my ratchet drivers are to big to fit with that frame rail in the way.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Also not sure if that part will actually fit? I cant tell how much space is between the end of the grip and the throttle tube? It looks almost flush and not sure you'll be able to get the switch closed around it? Also if the grip is longer than the original the switch tab won't fit back in the hole on the underneath side of the bars without either re drilling or cutting the tab off the switch???

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That gave me about 1 mm. I need a lot.

I remember the throttle body plate trick working with the shadow when I switched handlebars. Fortunately, Honda wasn't using screw heads made of playdough back then.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I disconnect the throttle body end then the cables go into the throttle sleeve and the housing closes over it just fine.
Also not sure if that part will actually fit? I cant tell how much space is between the end of the grip and the throttle tube? It looks almost flush and not sure you'll be able to get the switch closed around it? Also if the grip is longer than the original the switch tab won't fit back in the hole on the underneath side of the bars without either re drilling or cutting the tab off the switch???

·
Registered
366 Posts
I was able to swap out my throttle tube/grips by only loosening the top adjuster all the way out, nothing down below. it was tight, and I needed a curved pick and needle nose to guide it in but it made it. Just for shits and giggles can you get the original back in place?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Those two screws were pretty tight. I used a brand new #2 screwdriver. And even then I was putting a lot of pressure on them. You could try an impact screwdriver. The harbor freight 10 dollar setup has a very long bit in the kit. I have one for splitting cases on older bikes and it’s worked great.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm at my wit's end with this and about to just return the grips. Problem is, I cut up my stock grips to get these on. I'm just a little pissed. The instructions are flat out annoying. "Install grips by slipping cables on in reverse order."

Okay.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The original won't go on now either.

I lack an impact driver. Shame. Might make a trip, but with how rounded it is I don't think that would result in a feeling of pride and accomplishment.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah that screw is now a straight up circle. It's ******.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
What you think are Phillips Head Screws on the Rebel are not Phillips Heads. They are Japanese Industrial Standard Screws. AKA, JIS Screws.

In a pinch you can use a #2 Phillips Head Screwdriver by grinding the tip off so the driver will better seat in the screw.

The JIS Drivers are available from McMaster Carr in New Jersey.

Kenny G

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well. That explains why that screw is now forever stuck in the throttle plate. Thanks Kenny.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Did you destroy the oem throttle tube as well?

If not, put it back on, return those grips and order a set of the universal 1" grips... they slip right on and adhere with your choice of sealant.

Pro tip: do not use the sealant provided with the grips, or any other type of super glue, as it can set up way too fast with all the rubber used in the Kuryakyn grips, and you won't get the grips on all the way.

I used a tube of black JB weld on mine... slides on super easy, just have to give it a few hours to cure before riding.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Can you hold the two throttle tubes end to end and make sure the spacing is the same. I used avon grips and it came with two throttle pieces one foe Honda's and the other for other metric bikes, which was about a quarter inch bigger than ours. Your piece where the upper cables go into looks like it's wider to me than the stock tube

·
Registered
263 Posts
Obviously I don’t know where you live or what is nearby but you could probably get an impact driver at a Walmart Home Depot many others auto parts stores lend tools just throwing out some ideas

·
Registered
712 Posts
There are universal grips that don't require changing the throttle tube or any of that mess.

Remove old grips, remove old sealant, apply new sealant, & slip on new grips.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts