Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

Did Something Stupid - Oil Light ON?

10K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Bytonkane 
#1 ·
Hi. This is my first post and it's embarrassing (as is my username which I would love to change!)

My Rebel 500 ABS was delivered Thursday. I'm sure others have done this but it wasn't even 2 days of ownership and I got off the bike in my garage without putting the kickstand down. I have crash bars but haven't installed them yet. It went down slowly on carpet so the only damage is to the clutch lever which is now bent. However, now the oil light is on when I start the bike and turn on the motor. Does this have anything to do with the clutch issue? It's going back to the dealer tomorrow because it was delivered with some damage but I wanted to get a heads up as to what this may be.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Is the oil level visible in the window?

Also some people don't what the lights are on the speedometer....the ABS light comes on at engine start and stays on till you start moving.

Reactions: Odin and R80rt
#9 ·
I tipped mine over a couple months ago, clutch lever bent about half as much as yours, had some gas and oil leak out while I got up off the ground, no oil light problem, but then again I rode mine home from the accident.
The "missing" oil might have simply been caught in an interior pocket then later drained back down allowing the light to go off.
Just glad a member is ok.

#12 ·
"Set" my Honda Silver wing down 4 times in the 9 years I rode her, over 50,000 miles. Unless I am forgetting another time. Both brake levers (no clutch) were bent and it leaked gas all over one time when I couldn't get anyone to help me lift it back up. The bike was always fine, only the pride of the owner was damaged.

Most embarrassing time was the first time I had a video camera mounted. I parked it and got off and was so obsessed with checking my footage that I didn't notice the bike tipping over as I walked away.

#16 ·
No, I won't. It was a bit scary though. The bike was delivered with damaged throttle grip and brake (overlooked by the sales and parts dept. exiting the crate on delivery) so Honda came and picked it up today to fix. They are installing the crash bars for free, so all in all it worked out. I'm glad they took it for a couple of days - i've been obsessing about all the upgrades, gear, etc!

#17 ·
When I returned to biking after a 50 year break, I decided that I should be able to manoeuvre a bike whilst positioned beside it. I managed a few turns but then down it went with me pinned underneath! I got out, but never tried that again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.