Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
with 16,090 miles on the bike I dove into it today...

happy to report all valves were in spec

3 intakes measured .006 and 1 measured a looser .006 but a .007 was too tight
3 exhausts measured .009 and 1 measured a looser .009 but a .010 was too tight

some things of note

the two electrical connectors on the fuel tank were kinda of tough to get disconnected...could use a little more wire length to get tank higher to get at them better

didn't need to disconnect the fuel line...was able to lay the tank sideways across the frame without kinking the line

disconnecting all the other hoses to get tank and air cleaner housing off were fairly easy to get at

forgot to put one of the two inside spark plug boots in the long tube before installing the air cleaner housing...so had to loosen up the housing to get clearance to get it in...yes the 1100 has 4 spark plugs

I used silicone grease on the grommet on reinstallation of air cleaner housing into frame

all said and done everything went pretty good

Gauge Motor vehicle Speedometer Measuring instrument Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Tire

·
Registered
2021 Honda CMX1100 DCT
165 Posts
Great Picture There.. The 16,000 Mile Service is the main reason paid for 5 Free Services.. The 16,000 Mile Service costing more than what I paid for 5 free ones .. I guess there's enough people that don't make 16,000 in 3 years that is why is offered at a good price .. I'm over halfway there with a bit over 2 years to go so shouldn't have any problem reaching 16K in time..

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Did you happen to pull the plugs to check gap or see how it's fueling. I will probably do that too when I do this service. I hope no shims will need to be replaced. I'm only at around 9600 miles now. Your great pictures and comments help make it sound simpler than I had imagined. Honda has used dual plug heads for many years. My 88 Hawk v-twin has 2 spark plugs and only 3 valves per head.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you happen to pull the plugs to check gap or see how it's fueling. I will probably do that too when I do this service. I hope no shims will need to be replaced. I'm only at around 9600 miles now. Your great pictures and comments help make it sound simpler than I had imagined. Honda has used dual plug heads for many years. My 88 Hawk v-twin has 2 spark plugs and only 3 valves per head.
gaps ranged from .032 to .035 (used a wire gauge)

electrodes looked good

no deposits and coloration was good

should make it to the next 16,000 mile interval

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
at least we only have to "worry" about shims on half the job ;)

shims adjust the intakes

screws and lock nuts adjust the exhausts

• Helpful
Reactions: GatorJoe

·
Registered
2021 Honda CMX1100 DCT
165 Posts
gaps ranged from .032 to .035 (used a wire gauge)

electrodes looked good

no deposits and coloration was good

should make it to the next 16,000 mile interval
Maybe just didn't look hard enough in the Manual but what is the recommended Gap for the Spark Plugs ?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe just didn't look hard enough in the Manual but what is the recommended Gap for the Spark Plugs ?
Honda Service Manual>General Information>Ignition System Specifications>Spark Plug Gap .030 to .040

Honda Service Manual> Maintenance>Spark Plug if a .040 gauge can be inserted replace plug...also recommends that if gap is out of spec do not adjust

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Honda Service Manual>General Information>Ignition System Specifications>Spark Plug Gap .030 to .040

Honda Service Manual> Maintenance>Spark Plug if a .040 gauge can be inserted replace plug...also recommends that if gap is out of spec do not adjust
Do Not Adjust???? If my tire is low, I plan to adjust. I guess I plan to adjust the plug gap if it looks good but is at 40. I need a laugh so I will look it up in my service manual.

·
Registered
2021 Honda CMX1100 DCT
165 Posts

I assume this is meaning when inspecting at 16,000 Miles, Where the plugs are located would replace them regardless .. I know they are Iridium Plugs, but if they were brand new and a bit out of spec they can be adjusted but very carefully and use a feeler gauge to do it .. Thank you for the Info on the Plug Gap ..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts