Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I've purchased the Diablo Long exhaust online. This is the first time I've changed an exhaust and could do with a little help.

This is the long version and comes with an extra pipe for the exhaust to slip onto.

The problem is I cannot get the exhaust onto the extra pipe, it seems like it is almost the same size. I can get it to slip on about 1mm but no further.

I thought it would just slip onto the pipe but it does not and I don't want to force it too much.

Any body have any tips or advice? Is it supposed to be this tight? Or is there something wrong?

This is a photo of my slip on.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Try it the other way around perhaps.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Gulfman,

If you have an automotive muffler shop nearby go to them and have them expand the pipe that appears to be too tight. It is a quick and simple job for a professional.

Kenny G

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gulfman,

If you have an automotive muffler shop nearby go to them and have them expand the pipe that appears to be too tight. It is a quick and simple job for a professional.

Kenny G
Ok thanks Kenny will try that if I get no luck with it.

·
Super Moderator
1,409 Posts
you could try heating the outer piece and chilling the inner piece to take advantage of thermal expansion and contraction - oven and freezer - you would need to mate them quickly once they are ready because they will cool / warm quickly - practice this step and get everything you need in place before you prepare the parts

another idea is to try and remove some of the powder coat / paint from the surfaces that will be in contact - you might gain a few mils that way

·
Registered
34 Posts
Gulfman,
This has been my same experience with some of these early, cheap aftermarket parts being made for the Rebel - they don't fit well so you end up having to modify the parts to make them work. I think I posted elsewhere that I bought the PR2 exhaust from Zeed parts and while the exhaust did fit the extension pipe it came with, the extension pipe was loose where it connected to the Rebel. So I ended up making four lengthwise cuts on the extension pipe with a cut-off wheel so I could compress it with a hose clamp and create a tight fit. I also added some high-temp RTV to seal any additional leaks. Now after I start the engine and put my hand around the exhaust joint, I don't feel any obvious exhaust leakage.

It sounds like you are in a similar situation I was in. You bought parts that probably shipped from another country and those parts weren't particularly well designed or thought out. You probably don't want to attempt to return the parts because that might be a bigger hassle than it's worth. So now you're stuck with those parts you bought and you're going to have to hack the parts to make them work. Hopefully these experiences can set the expectations for others who might be thinking about buying these parts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gulfman,
This has been my same experience with some of these early, cheap aftermarket parts being made for the Rebel - they don't fit well so you end up having to modify the parts to make them work. I think I posted elsewhere that I bought the PR2 exhaust from Zeed parts and while the exhaust did fit the extension pipe it came with, the extension pipe was loose where it connected to the Rebel. So I ended up making four lengthwise cuts on the extension pipe with a cut-off wheel so I could compress it with a hose clamp and create a tight fit. I also added some high-temp RTV to seal any additional leaks. Now after I start the engine and put my hand around the exhaust joint, I don't feel any obvious exhaust leakage.

It sounds like you are in a similar situation I was in. You bought parts that probably shipped from another country and those parts weren't particularly well designed or thought out. You probably don't want to attempt to return the parts because that might be a bigger hassle than it's worth. So now you're stuck with those parts you bought and you're going to have to hack the parts to make them work. Hopefully these experiences can set the expectations for others who might be thinking about buying these parts.
Also bought this from Zeed. Bought a few things from them and this is the first thing I've had a problem with. Bummer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need to push it together very hard. There is no spring or clamp for these to connect so the fitting has to be very tight. With enough work you will get it to fit.
Got it on in the end. Rubber mallet helped. It is very tight so the mallet helped alot. Sounds great. Don't know if I 100% like the look but for now I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This exact issue happened to me when I bought the same exhaust. I ended up having the seller send me a new extension pipe (I didn't have the tools to fix it myself) and the 2nd one that was sent to me fit perfectly. But... make sure that the screws on for the baffle are tightened. My baffles blew out of my Diablo Exhaust on the highway. I tried to talk to the eBay seller and they said I was SOL and would have to buy a new exhaust. So I ended up finding a helpful post on here: http://www.hondarebel3forum.com/forum/665-accessories-add-ons/3833-available-exhaust.html

Now this is what I did to fix my baffles, I ordered this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle...ash=item5d6e62b15e:g:iOgAAOSwWxNYtpEP&vxp=mtr

I used the baffles from the second exhaust I purchased and just put them on my Diablo exhaust. Everything worked and the 2nd exhaust I bought came with a much better mounting bracket and equipment to secure the exhaust. I find it ridiculous that K-SPEED didn't supply the extra equipment and mounting accessories with their Diablo exhaust.

I will be making a more detailed review of my Diablo Exhaust soon. There are so many things that Diablo didn't include with their exhaust that their supplier does include when you buy wholesale.

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
I’m wondering if you were supposed to have had the extra parts you say are missing but either the admin just didn’t add to the picking list.
I’ve visited three of their shops several times, & in one of the smaller outlets all 3 of its staff were clueless as to what I wanted to buy.

Anyone who orders from them should use the Rama 2 shop as this is their main outlet. It has more experienced staff + the owner is often there who speaks reasonable English.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok just to clear up this my thoughts on the Exhaust now its on the bike.

There was no problem with the item.

It was my lack of experience doing these things that got me stuck.

A little elbow grease and a rubber mallet and the exhaust went on fine. Had not changed one before and I was being to soft with not wanting to hurt my pipes.

I bought it from Zeed and I cannot fault them. I have bought many things from them in the past and the postage, packing, tracking and customer service is just great. Their website is in English and easy to use. The customer service responds fast and clear answers are given. I'm more than happy to use them and will be buying from them again.

Are they the cheapest? From what I've read no. Are they the best quality parts? I don't know as I have nothing to compare them too.

But overall I'm happy with the service they provide. Until I find another seller who has a clear English website, prompt customer service, takes PayPal and can get my item from Thailand to the UK in 6 days I'll be sticking with them.

Lastly if anyone does have better sources for parts that can beat the above I'll be more than happy to order elsewhere but Zeed is the best I can personally find that works for me in the UK.

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
There is a reason I've advised people to stay away from k-speed and the diablo brand ChozoGod....
It’s mainly the communication with them Lyoko rather than the brand.
I don’t have a Diablo exhaust but I do have the Diablo rear signal lights & clutch\brake levers which I cannot fault, but they are not top brands. Yeah it’s Chinese,Thai, or Vietnam made etc
There are many of these items to be had which are exactly the same without the Diablo screen print logo & prob even cheaper.
Unless we find what we want from our home country that is good quality but at a much higher price, up until now everything has come from south east Asia so we can expect quality issues often. Luckily for me I don’t have to pay the expensive shipping costs & tax when I buy something here, when I want to buy from the UK or US the tables are turned.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought the exact same exhaust and had the same problem as you. I got the position of the two parts ever so slightly wrong before I hammered them together. In the end I got a custom exhaust shop to chop it in two, make a new middle pipe from stainless steel and then wrap it. Fortunately I like the new look, but if you are in any doubt whatsoever, then I suggest you get an exhaust shop to fit it for you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts