Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:crying:

So, my bike was parked next to a street post and my mate rode past and his saddle bag clipped the rear light and tipped the bike over and the tank hit the post.

New tank is ~AUD600 (from dealers) so am looking for a repair quote or 2nd hand tank (have tried VIC Motorcycle wreckers, they have one but dented too). Any suggestions or contacts? I’m in Melbourne, Australia.

13294158-7268-429F-BD59-9DAC07B41ACF.jpg

ADD6F7D6-8111-408F-9D0E-AB496FFF2040.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry, I can't help in any practical way. Just wanted to say that I feel your pain! Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If the tank isn't leaking, you could always purchase one of those tank covers. It won't fix the dent, but at least you can hide it. You can get them on ebay for less than $200 US.

-CG

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the tank isn't leaking, you could always purchase one of those tank covers. It won't fix the dent, but at least you can hide it. You can get them on ebay for less than $200 US.

-CG
Yep, considering that option too but since mate is going to be paying a replacement or repair job will be better in the long run. Trying to save him some $$ and avoid a new replacement, and since it’s getting some work am thinking of a custom paint job.... we’ll see what the quotes come in at, just need to find a good restorer.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I read this when you first posted and thought about who should pay for this. I agree your mate should be on the hook. That said if he has the means then no question replace. Repairs are fine but nothing like oem IMO.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know you said you're avoiding a new one as they're pricey, but Partzilla has them fairly priced at this point. Right now they have the black tank for $329 USD (466 AUS). I don't know what year your bike is or what color code your tank is. I personally can never tell the silver from the gray. :grin2: But at least for the 2017, Honda has these 4 part numbers:
TANK SET, FUEL (TYPE4) (WL)17520-MKG-A00ZC; TANK SET, FUEL (TYPE3) (WL) 17520-MKG-A00ZD; TANK SET, FUEL (TYPE2) (WL) 17520-MKG-A00ZE; TANK SET, FUEL (TYPE1) (WL) 17520-MKG-A00ZF (this last one is the black)

You can look up your bike/year and the specific part numbers and just do a google search. See which website has the lowest price. It's easier to find a new part when you know the part number. Just searching for a Honda Rebel gas tank is only going to get you so far, and it'll likely be more costly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any competent body shop can repair that dent, can scan and match the paint, and the decals are available from Honda. I just had a much larger dent repaired on mine. The only issues we had was removing the tank which is a bit of a pain. And the tank is made of very thin metal, so when they removed the welded pulling studs, they would pull holes in the tank which had to be welded back up. But in the end, it turned out nice and a lot cheaper than a new tank.

And yes, the guy that hit your bike and knocked it into the post damaging it should pick up the repair tab. He damaged your bike and is responsible. Couldn't he turn it in to his insurance? That's how it would work here in the states.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys
@holypotatoes, good site but with shipping to Aus it’ll be about same price as our local retail.

Got a quote for a repair AUD $450 - “back to original” he said. So, prob better to just get new and trade the old one in to the wreckers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks guys

@holypotatoes, good site but with shipping to Aus it’ll be about same price as our local retail.

Got a quote for a repair AUD $450 - “back to original” he said. So, prob better to just get new and trade the old one in to the wreckers
I'm in Oz too and need a new tank. What did it end up costing from the dealer?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in Oz too and need a new tank. What did it end up costing from the dealer?
I phoned quite a few dealers and they were around $650 (tank only). I actually had it repaired for $400 from MCR near Tullamarine. Great job and will post some pics.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here you go: tank fixed, went with a metallic dark green and put a discrete black star on it :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ended up contacting my insurer and paid the $400 excess for a brand new tank installed. Picked it up and noticed a dent from either shipping or during install. So now waiting on decision of who will take responsibility for that.

Also noticed after the tank swap a fuel gauge malfunction.

Fun times.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts