Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new 2019 Honda Rebel 500 motorcycle back to the dealership that I purchased her from for her first 600 mile oil change. Being a motorcycle newbie I called a couple weeks in advance to ask what I could expect as far as pricing and roughly how long it would take. I asked if the roughly $300 expense would include a “once over” just to clean her up a bit before I take her back home. (FYI-I wipe her down from top to bottom every single morning, cleaning every nook and cranny). He mentioned they don’t do a detailed wash but they will clean her up.
This morning I kept with my morning wipe down ritual but there was a little fog with some mist on my way to work which caused some slight moisture on the bike. After work, I took her to the dealership for the oil change and right before I left I asked if they would just give her a general wipe down or “wash” as they call it and he said absolutely it’s included with every oil change. When I went to pick her up, not one area had been wiped down on her and she still had rain droplets on her forks, along the engine, etc. When I asked why she wasn’t cleaned off they said that they did clean her. They clean fingerprints and any oil residue that’s left over.
I was so confused by this but being extremely new to the motorcycle world I thought maybe I misunderstood. I talked to the owner of the dealership and he said that wiping down any part of the engine would be considered a detailed wash and that it would roughly cost me about $500. He did mention that they should’ve wiped the forks down but any other part of the motorcycle would not be included. He did say “had I had my oil change in January the guys would’ve been so bored they probably would’ve wiped down the engine, but we are in November soooo.”. 🤷‍♀️
What do people typically receive on a first oil change. Again, I was absolutely not expecting anything like what I do in the mornings but I’ve been in customer service all my life and you always send home something better than what it came in looking like. I’m sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I’ve had a rough go with this dealership and would like to hear others experiences. Please help with some feedback. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I've never had oil change service done at the dealership, do most mech work myself. But I wouldn't have expected any kind of wash/wipe down etc, unless they made a mess while changing the oil.
I would suggest saving money by doing it yourself, it's not hard at all, unless you have zero interest in learning, or no tools and don't want to buy any...
they should have checked fasteners and the like./things listed in the manual for first service check; but in reality there's no way of knowing if they did. other than seeing the filter is new, and the oil looks clean in the 'window'. If you already don't like going there, i would not give them another Dime of your money and either go somewhere else, or watch some youtube videos/search this forum , there's plenty of us who have done the work, and written about it.
take care.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never had oil change service done at the dealership, do most mech work myself. But I wouldn't have expected any kind of wash/wipe down etc, unless they made a mess while changing the oil.
I would suggest saving money by doing it yourself, it's not hard at all, unless you have zero interest in learning, or no tools and don't want to buy any...
they should have checked fasteners and the like./things listed in the manual for first service check; but in reality there's no way of knowing if they did. other than seeing the filter is new, and the oil looks clean in the 'window'. If you already don't like going there, i would not give them another Dime of your money and either go somewhere else, or watch some youtube videos/search this forum , there's plenty of us who have done the work, and written about it.
take care.
Thank you so much. Being new to this, I have been online looking up so many videos trying to learn everything from riding to the motorcycle itself which is also how I found this forum. Great advice and I definitely plan on doing my own work in the future. I love riding so much though that 600 miles came up fast and I’m still learning. It still has paper plates. Lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Usually the first service/oil change involves going over the motorcycle and re-torquing the bolts. Whether it gets done or not is debatable. If I bought a new motorcycle, I would generally have the dealer do the 1st service for reason of keeping relations and if any warranty issues later on. If you don't trust your dealer, find another one that has better customer service. The owner sounds like he doesn't really care. FYI, I do my own oil changes after the first one. All you need to get is a new crusher washer, filter, oil and magnetic drain plug (not necessary, but you'll be surprised what it catches).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went for a first oil change as well never owned a bike until now I was let down by the dealership they charged twice as much got mud on my bike said they adjusted my valves I found out on this forum unless you're bike sits overnight thats impossible so I bought some manuals and now I'm learning to do it my self it evan brings you closer to your bike good luck hope this helps some

·
Registered
284 Posts
I went for a first oil change as well never owned a bike until now I was let down by the dealership they charged twice as much got mud on my bike said they adjusted my valves I found out on this forum unless you're bike sits overnight thats impossible so I bought some manuals and now I'm learning to do it my self it evan brings you closer to your bike good luck hope this helps some
service schedule for valve adjustment is at 16,000 miles...600 mile service is only oil & filter change

Usually the first service/oil change involves going over the motorcycle and re-torquing the bolts. Whether it gets done or not is debatable. If I bought a new motorcycle, I would generally have the dealer do the 1st service for reason of keeping relations and if any warranty issues later on. If you don't trust your dealer, find another one that has better customer service. The owner sounds like he doesn't really care. FYI, I do my own oil changes after the first one. All you need to get is a new crusher washer, filter, oil and magnetic drain plug (not necessary, but you'll be surprised what it catches).
service schedule for checking fasteners is 8,000 miles...600 mile service is only oil & filter change

·
Registered
2 Posts
service schedule for checking fasteners is 8,000 miles...600 mile service is only oil & filter change
They are suppose to because there usually require assembly when they are put together at the dealership. Depends from dealer to dealer, if your dealer is thorough they should mark every bolt that they torqued. The Rebel 500 i bought (used with 2k miles) had the bolts marked. The bike that I bought new was a dual sport so my experience might vary, it saw gravel and went through a hard break-in procedure. My dealer did keep the dual sport for this service, they gave me a loaner bike to go home with.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 500
59 Posts
money by doing it yours
I took my new 2019 Honda Rebel 500 motorcycle back to the dealership that I purchased her from for her first 600 mile oil change. Being a motorcycle newbie I called a couple weeks in advance to ask what I could expect as far as pricing and roughly how long it would take. I asked if the roughly $300 expense would include a “once over” just to clean her up a bit before I take her back home. (FYI-I wipe her down from top to bottom every single morning, cleaning every nook and cranny). He mentioned they don’t do a detailed wash but they will clean her up.
This morning I kept with my morning wipe down ritual but there was a little fog with some mist on my way to work which caused some slight moisture on the bike. After work, I took her to the dealership for the oil change and right before I left I asked if they would just give her a general wipe down or “wash” as they call it and he said absolutely it’s included with every oil change. When I went to pick her up, not one area had been wiped down on her and she still had rain droplets on her forks, along the engine, etc. When I asked why she wasn’t cleaned off they said that they did clean her. They clean fingerprints and any oil residue that’s left over.
I was so confused by this but being extremely new to the motorcycle world I thought maybe I misunderstood. I talked to the owner of the dealership and he said that wiping down any part of the engine would be considered a detailed wash and that it would roughly cost me about $500. He did mention that they should’ve wiped the forks down but any other part of the motorcycle would not be included. He did say “had I had my oil change in January the guys would’ve been so bored they probably would’ve wiped down the engine, but we are in November soooo.”. 🤷‍♀️
What do people typically receive on a first oil change. Again, I was absolutely not expecting anything like what I do in the mornings but I’ve been in customer service all my life and you always send home something better than what it came in looking like. I’m sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I’ve had a rough go with this dealership and would like to hear others experiences. Please help with some feedback. Thank you in advance.
Never in a million years would I have expected a dealership to wash what is already stated as being a clean bike as part of an oil change. All that is expected is that they complete the job and wipe any dripped oil off so that it looks as good as it did coming in. Keep in mind you're riding a Rebel. At this price point and market I would not be expecting a concierge level of service like I would be if I was having my Ferrari picked up for a servicing. (Not that I own a Ferrari, but you get the point...)

However, I will say that regardless of expectations $300.00 is absolute robbery for a 1st service. It shouldn't have exceeded $125.00 which was the price I was quoted during purchase of my new 2019.

·
Registered
31 Posts
$300 is overpriced and you obviously don't feel like you received good value.
Its too late to go back and ask for compensation for the crappy service. This is a lesson in bike ownership, If you want it done right then do it yourself.

Expectations for a first service is a fresh oil change, returned in the condition you brought it in, and a feeling of welcome into the motorcycle family. The first service visit sets the tone for the customer...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts