Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have the exact dimensions of a De Pretto Moto Forward Controls kit? I just think it's outrageous that they can charge £450+ for a few bits of fabricated metal.

I think anyone with a DPM Forward Controls kit could do a lot of good in the world by sharing the dimensions of this kit, so that any man, woman or post-pubescent teenager may go to their nearest metal shop and have forward controls fabricated for twenty or thirty pound.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not like there's any malicious intent in it. People should have access to products at an acceptable and reasonable price, if the market offers no such options, the people should have an easily accessible alternative. It's how you regulate price-gouging and it puts power back into the hands of the consumer.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Huuh if you able to reproduce those bits, I suppose that fotos from their page would be sufficient to pick all needed data for fabricate them? At least for me there is enough data do do it for me (but I kinda like control position, even me being on bigger side of crowd here). But even then... sourcing materials, fabricator(s), I seriously doubt that you will get through half of that amount money, except... you'll have all materials and tools on hand...

·
Registered
482 Posts
And I think, that somebody already did some kind of forwards, at very beginning of this forum and our Rebels. Me think in 2017 or 2018 and he kindly offers templates?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably but I imagine a fabricator would want measurements at the door.

And that's cool, does it look clean? I feel like the reason so many people gravitate towards the DPM kit, is because it just blends in. A lot of the homebrew solutions I've seen are essentially just a long pipe with your controls sitting at the end of it.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CMX300A
48 Posts
Wow. Piracy at the highest level (n)
Lol, this isn't a digital good. There isn't a end-user license. If you can reverse-engineer something for which there is no patent (cause let's face it, DPM doesn't have a patent for forward controls), all the power to you.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Probably but I imagine a fabricator would want measurements at the door.

And that's cool, does it look clean? I feel like the reason so many people gravitate towards the DPM kit, is because it just blends in. A lot of the homebrew solutions I've seen are essentially just a long pipe with your controls sitting at the end of it.
Hey, you have your bike at hand, and can make cardboard templates and then start fabrication from there (went similar path doing my rear rack, since our importer didn't want to sold one for me- SW motech one... and manufacturer said- you must bought our items locally). At least I would do that if I would prefer forwards, which I do not- I like how I can push bike into bend with factory pegs (even if I am at bigger side)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Lol, this isn't a digital good. There isn't a end-user license. If you can reverse-engineer something for which there is no patent (cause let's face it, DPM doesn't have a patent for forward controls), all the power to you.
Digital or not it’s still stealing . It’s just not right. I’m out of here

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey price-gouging "isn't right", cornering the market "isn't right". I mean I understand added value baby but there's no universe in which £450 is the correct price for six thin bits of powder-coated metal.

A lot of people will say that's a free market and they can do what they like, and that's fair enough, but free market also says nothing is above duplication or self-manufacture, and for private, non-commercial use there's no issue with legality. It's not a case of right or wrong, it's the nature of the game.

And for an economically hostile, multimillion dollar company, I'll save my tears😂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts