Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
Newbie here, just got my license a month ago and got a Rebel 500 (the orange one and I love it!). So far no issues but am worried about dropping it (I've been told it's going to happen at some point). Any advice on a good brand of crash bar/guards? Or advice in general if they are useful or not as far as preventing damage during a drop?

Thanks!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have no experience with them. My advice is don’t drop it. I had a car knock over my grom in a parking lot once. The handle bar and foot peg were the only parts that touched the ground. I wonder if the same is true for our Rebels. Someone with experience will be along.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have experience of dropping bikes... but not the Rebel. It is not a tall bike and it is comparatively lightweight. You stand a good chance of keeping it upright. (Tempting fate?). You could find a large board and hold it aginst the bike to find the strike points and where protection would be needed if....

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have experience of dropping bikes... but not the Rebel. It is not a tall bike and it is comparatively lightweight. You stand a good chance of keeping it upright. (Tempting fate?). You could find a large board and hold it aginst the bike to find the strike points and where protection would be needed if....
For me it was the bar levers and the Givi top case.

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts
Mixed reviews on so called crash bars. Good for tip overs, possibly catastrophic for crashes. Your foot / leg could get pinned to the bike when the bar folds in from any moderate impact. Google the "Hurt Report" if you're interested in learning more. (Hurt is the guys name)

·
Registered
868 Posts
to me, i'm not interested in crash bars/engine guards and i'll tell you why. yes i agree they would help in a tip over, say in your driveway or in a parking lot, but in an actual crash/accident, even if my insurance company didn't 'total' the bike? I wouldn't want to ride it again, period; no matter how small or major the damage-just from a safety or my own personal opinion-point of view. I would just want to start over fresh with a new bike (or in this case, my 2nd bike). so adding something that would help protect it and cost me less to fix in the event of a crash wouldn't make a difference in this situation.
just .02 cents

1 - 18 of 18 Posts