Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Hoping you can direct a complete newbie. Please don't laugh at me too hard for these questions.

I bought a 2019 Honda Rebel 300. I've had it one month now, although I was travelling for some of that time. The dealer was very busy the day I bought the bike and seemed to have missed a few important details. Apparently the owners manual is in the under seat storage, which he said can be opened with an allen key. But I don't see anywhere to use an allen key and wondering if he's just blowing me off.

I want to find the manual because I now badly need to check the oil. The 'oil window' that people seem to talk about does not seem obvious to me, and the oil doesn't seem to have a dipstick to use. Apologies if i'm missing something obvious but i'm grateful for any knowledge you can share.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The allen key is under the right side panel, held in place by a screw. The seat bolts are to the rear of the seat, raise the padding a bit and you'll see them. I'm sure the oil is fine, Welcome and good luck!

·
Registered
742 Posts
What He said ^^^^^^^^^
no there is no dipstick, the bike should be straight up and down when you look into the oil window. so either have another person look at it while you sit upright, or if you have/bought a rear stand you can check yourself, or if neither of those apply stick a piece of 2X4 under the kickstand. it will almost be upright at that point, and you can have a look yourself. just be careful with that method in case the bike leans too far to the right. you should be on that side anyway checking the window

·
Registered
127 Posts
download the 300 owners manual HERE

as stated by R80rt the hex key for taking the seat off is under the right cover

go to page 65 in the owners manual for picture and instructions for removing seat

go to page 70 in the owners manual for picture of sight glass and procedure for checking oil level

·
Registered
349 Posts
You can do it. When you are done make sure the side cover is popped back on properly or it may decide to fly off when you aren't looking.

·
Registered
675 Posts
An oil window can be difficult to see while trying to balance the bike. I've used a makeup mirror (the ones on a stand) and it works very well. Some use an automotive mirror but if you already have a makeup mirror it's free.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Someone should make the oil fill plug into a dipstick, I hate windows.

I so agree--was stupid for them to just use the sight glass idea. The old Rebel's had a dipstick, think they didn't want to spend the extra bucks to put one in. Pretty sad if you ask me! :smile2:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ironically, you need the allen wrench to get the seat off. The allen wrench is held in place by a screw. The screw driver is under the seat.

Fear not, the side of your house key or a coin will work ;-)

·
Registered
675 Posts
I so agree--was stupid for them to just use the sight glass idea. The old Rebel's had a dipstick, think they didn't want to spend the extra bucks to put one in. Pretty sad if you ask me! :smile2:
I have a dipstick on the Shadow and I HATE it. The only dipstick I like on my bikes is me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ironically, you need the allen wrench to get the seat off. The allen wrench is held in place by a screw. The screw driver is under the seat.

Fear not, the side of your house key or a coin will work ;-)
For whatever reason, using a coin for the side of a key, I have not been able to get the screw off to remove the Allen key. I just ended up using a different 5mm hex key 😂 here's hoping I dont need it out on the road! 🤞🏽

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
For whatever reason, using a coin for the side of a key, I have not been able to get the screw off to remove the Allen key. I just ended up using a different 5mm hex key 😂 here's hoping I dont need it out on the road! 🤞🏽
I had to use a huge flat bladed screw driver to break the coin slotted fastener loose to get at the 5mm Allen wrench.
When I re-tightened the fastener I used a Quarter Coin to hand tighten the fastener, and then taped the Quarter on the inside of the plastic cover.

Kenny G

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had to use a huge flat bladed screw driver to break the coin slotted fastener loose to get at the 5mm Allen wrench.
When I re-tightened the fastener I used a Quarter Coin to hand tighten the fastener, and then taped the Quarter on the inside of the plastic cover.

Kenny G

ditto...except I always have a few coins with me and didn't tape one under the cover

1 - 20 of 46 Posts