Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month I adjusted my clutch lever so upon release (approx 1/4 inch) I would start moving. But today I noticed it went totally opposite. Now after full release (about 1/2 inch) from full let go I start moving. I only have 1750 miles on it and ride casually and have never reved the **** out of it cause I ride normally. Been riding everyday over the last 30 days. Can anyone advice me on what may be going on here?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Forgot it astricks out H.E. double L. I didn’t know that was a bad word on a forum.
You thought that was bad, you should try using ****, it's even worse :grin2:

Have you re-checked your clutch cable adjustments at the handle bar and at the end of the clutch cable?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
AB82,

Always go back check the last thing that you worked on before the trouble started, chances are something didn't get tightened properly.

Kenny G

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The adjustment screw end where the cable meets the lever is screwed all the way in right now. But I also have a little over and inch of loose end play in the lever when in neutral. I can flick it back and forth even if I used a coffee straw, it’s that loose. The lower end of the cable where it secures to the adjustment bracket. It’s sitting right on center of the threads. I still have room there to adjust, to take the slack out of the lever. But wondering if that will fix the problem. Guess I’ll see tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just adjusted the lever like in the video and that took out the slack but the main issue still exists. I don’t hit friction zone until the lever is all the way out. When it used to hit right as I was starting to let out the lever.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I just adjusted the lever like in the video and that took out the slack but the main issue still exists. I don’t hit friction zone until the lever is all the way out. When it used to hit right as I was starting to let out the lever.
Well you don't want friction to hit until about half way from full release. In a perfect world you should be able to 1 or 2 finger the clutch leaving 3-4 around the grip and while pulled in rested on fingers the clutch should be fully engaged.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
When in doubt, let the dealer take a look at it.
If you mess something up trying to fix it on your own, it becomes your problem, and not Honda's due to the warranty rules. Improper usage by user will not be covered by the warranty.
So better to let the dealer find out what is wrong, and deal with it as a warranty case.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, lesson learned by trial and error. Seems like I can adjust the clutch lever back to where I like it to enguage the friction zone. Which to me is 1/4 inch from letting the clutch lever out. Down side is there’s gonna be a lot of clutch lever play at the end when I let all the way out.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I can't really grasp why you would want the clutch to engage so soon?
Imagine you're stationary at a light, and the car that comes up behind you isn't paying enough attention. He doesn't completely smash you, but ends up giving you a good bump. And if you're holding the clutch in at that moment, then any slight movement will throw the bike into gear and shot off.

Also, how are you supposed to "play" with the clutch now when taking a right or left when leaving an intersection?
This is just yet another example to as why I'm convinced that driving in the US is a death trap. There is so much vital info and practice that you never see with those drivers courses that you have.
When leaving a intersection you're not supposed to have the clutch fully engaged. This is to "hold the bike back" so that you don't end up in oncoming traffic when turning to the right, or in the ditch when turning to the left.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The Riders Edge Course that the Harley Davidson Dealers administer in the U.S.cover everything you are ever going to need to know to survive on a motorcycle.

Not all the courses are as good, and most places in the U.S. you can ride without taking a safety course. In Texas you have to take a safety course to ride without wearing a helmet.....

Kenny G

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
......In Texas you have to take a safety course to ride without wearing a helmet.....

Kenny G

Well... This kinda says it all now, doesn't it?! :surprise:
How does taking this so called "safety course" help making it safe to ride without a helmet even?? It's absurd!
I'll never be able to grasp the kind of logic you guys have over there... :|

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
How does taking this so called "safety course" help making it safe to ride without a helmet even?? It's absurd!
Welcome to Texas where there is no logic.

I have taken the Riders Edge Course in recent years and I do wear a helmet.

Most of the fatal motorcycle accidents here in North Texas are late at night with alcohol present.

Kenny G

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Welcome to Texas where there is no logic.

I have taken the Riders Edge Course in recent years and I do wear a helmet.

Most of the fatal motorcycle accidents here in North Texas are late at night with alcohol present.

Kenny G
Well, I suppose there are some truth behind a saying we have here in Norway that is: "That's how they do it in Texas!" It's a meaning rooted in being a cowboy, and how people tend to do things that are sketchy/dangerous/illogical, etc.

Anyhuw, I'm sure we can all understand that there is a high risk of dangers involved with driving motorcycles. And that alcohol should never be combined with any kind of driving.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have it adjusted close cause I have noticed the gradual enguagment of the clutch it self has deminshed considerably. Before when all the slack was taken out of the clutch lever and would operate what I believe is normal. I let the clutch lever out slowly and at about 1/2 an inch from let go it would start moving gradualy and you could feel the clutch slowly increasing as the lever continued to be released until full enguagement at full release. But now if it take out the lever slack. I don’t feel the gradual friction enguagement anymore. The gradual enguagement zone has shortened considerably. I mean I can fully enguage and disengage the clutch within 1/2 inch to 3/4 of an inch of lever movement. Where as when it was new I had basically full range of lever motion and I could feel the clutch friction range throughout the lever action. Maybe my clutch plates need to be adjusted to take the slack out since I assume they are wearing in.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Sounds more like you're experiencing some other more grave problem, than a simple stretch of the clutch wire or such.
I have ridden longer with mine than what you have, and I've not noticed any such problem. I've only adjusted the wire once, and that was when I changed to new levers.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Where I am, only the driver has to wear the helmet, (& usually they don’t) the wife & 3 kids on the back do not need helmets. Also the wearing of helmets would hinder the family whilst playing with their mobiles along the way.
There’s a lot more of that kind of logic here too :grin2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts