Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I’ve been following the forums for quite sometime but am a 1st time poster.

I have purchased the chump style handlebars (with brake and clutch extension cables) for my 2018 Rebel 500 from Zeed parts.

I have the install pretty much complete but when I hook up the new clutch cable there is no spring back or really tension of any kind in the handle lever. What am I missing? Any help would be much appreciated thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

It springs back on its own but just doesn’t seem to be enough tension to move the wire. The wire does move pretty freely on its own. I even routed it outside of everything to make sure it wasn’t binding.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts

Nothing that I can tell

If this picture is when you have everything "hooked up", then something is seriously wrong somewhere.
Take note of how the arm sits in the picture I posted.
I took that photo for when I was changing out my levers, to document it's position for if/when I'd have to remove the tension on the wire.
You have 2 places to regulate the tension for the wire when it's connected to the clutch arm. One down where it's connected, and one on the handlebar.
The one on the handlebar should be all the way in, as in not tensioned at all. This one is "strictly" for fine-tuning.
While the one down at the clutch arm is where you'll want to sort out the main tension for the wire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any ideas of what could have happened? Everything has been working fine and have had the bike out for plenty of rides this season already. It’s just since I switched out the cable. Very weird. I’ll fart around some more and see what I can come up with

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
As I mentioned, you have to tension the clutch arm so that it's in the position as the picture I posted.
There is quite a lot of tension on that arm in that position, so judging by your photo you've simply connected the wire to the clutch arm when it's fully out without any tension on it; Meaning it's way bellow the tension it's suppose to have.
I recommend being two people on this, as it was hard for me to keep up the tension on the clutch arm, while adjusting and connecting the clutch wire onto it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are absolutely right, the issue is clearly that the clutch cable (wire) that they sent is too long. Even adjusted fully there is still too much slack. Thank you. You guys on this site are fantastic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know if the clutch cable (wire) for the 300 is longer? (Smaller engine maybe set back further). Possibly they sent the cable for that instead of the 500. I’ll keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
If the issue is that the wire itself is too long, then there is your problem.
But that was not what I was saying here, at all..:| I actually can't quite wrap my head around how you made that conclusion..

So for the sake of clarification, I'll try again.

Firstly, the "arm" in the picture that I posted, that is the "Clutch arm". This is what's engaging and disengaging your clutch every time you operate the Clutch lever on the handlebar, which happens through the wire that connects them both.

So this Clutch Arm of yours, when it's fully out and has engaged the clutch, it needs to stay in the position as shown in the picture I posted.
Which means it's still under tension in that position, and it's supposed to be.
But in your case, you have simply connected the wire onto the clutch arm when it's aaaaall the way out, meaning it has no tension on it at all.
Don't you see the difference if you compare your picture against mine? The issue is right there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm, maybe my response was worded poorly.

I understand what you are saying in regards to the clutch arm having no tension at all and the wire just sitting on with no tension. That is what I meant by the clutch cable being too long and that they sent me the wrong one. The wire is too long and I can’t add anymore tension with the one they sent. I have emailed the company and it appears the 300 cable is longer (the one they sent) as opposed to the 500 which is shorter (the one I need to actually be able to get the tension I need).

Thanks again

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick update for you guys, measured the cable I got, and Zeed measured the one I’m supposed to have. The one they sent is 3” longer so they are gonna send out the proper one.

They have been fantastic to deal with and I had the original package in 3 days of it being sent. (To Canada). Our mail delivery takes longer than that here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a quick update, proper size cable was sent by Zeed parts, arrived in 3 days, installed, adjusted, and works perfectly. Zeed was fantastic to deal with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just a quick update, proper size cable was sent by Zeed parts, arrived in 3 days, installed, adjusted, and works perfectly. Zeed was fantastic to deal with.

Do you know how long your working clutch cable is?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts