Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm close to buying a 18 or 19 Rebel 500 this week or next.

Is $5799 for a new 2018 a good deal? Black, non-ABS

For the 2019 new (Sand color, non-ABS), can you even haggle like you can at a car dealership or do I basically have to pay full price?

There is something called a prep fee to get it ready and they want to charge me $480, is that b.s. or required or strongly recommended? Something about torquing it down and making sure it is street safe to drive. Not sure if shipping fee is included in prep fee because I think the guy was lying to me when he said it is something from the manufacture and there's nothing he can do about it. Don't Honda already torque everything down to spec and make sure it is safe before crating it and shipping it off to the dealerships?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Depending on your location that could be a good price. I'd search in and around your area on CycleTrader and see if there are cheaper ones. If not, then there's your answer.

And there's always an option to haggle, but from what I've heard most motorcycle shops don't come down too much on the bikes price. However, you can get them to throw in gear like a new helmet or jacket. It all just depends on the dealer, and how much you want to push them to get the price down or get free stuff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would bet they didn't tell you about all the fees. Most will charge the setup fee, the freight fee, document fee, and of course tax title and license. All said and done it can easily exceed $1000.

I bought my 2018 non-abs 500 for $5850 out the door including delivery to my house 2 hours away. The dealer had it marked at full MSRP $6199 before fees. So yes they will haggle, but they probably won't be as willing on the 2019. Rebels aren't exactly flying off the shelf in my area so that's an advantage for me as the buyer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also used is an option, I bought my non abs 2016 with 500 miles on it for $4500 from a private seller.

You got lucky. I can't find a decency-priced used 500 anywhere on the internet. People are selling their used ones for near new prices. I might as well buy a new one and get that 1-year warranty and not worry about anything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Definitely look around for leftovers or used. I got my 2017 500 a few months back when the 2019's weren't out. It had 234 miles on it, and I got for $4,000 before Tax & Tags. Buying used I also avoided the prep / delivery fee.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I would bet they didn't tell you about all the fees. Most will charge the setup fee, the freight fee, document fee, and of course tax title and license. All said and done it can easily exceed $1000.

I bought my 2018 non-abs 500 for $5850 out the door including delivery to my house 2 hours away. The dealer had it marked at full MSRP $6199 before fees. So yes they will haggle, but they probably won't be as willing on the 2019. Rebels aren't exactly flying off the shelf in my area so that's an advantage for me as the buyer.
And the worst fee of them all is the dreaded ADM fee. That stands for Added Dealer Markup. At my local dealer that can be as much as $1,795.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts