Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Many people (most of you), connect new mufflers in an angle. I personally don't like the way it looks.

I was thinking how realistic will it be to install a classic muffler, like on Triumph Bobber to the Rebel without a mechanic or professional plumber involved?

On this thread, @jmc was already using using a muffler I really like. I'm still waiting him to reply what exactly the name of those and probably the size.

The trick it, you cannot just position a new muffler horizontally, like the stack muffler is. You need also to connect a pipe somehow.

Recently I found this Universal Flexible Motorcycle Exhaust Tube, Pipe which makes me think, that I can simply do it myself.

My questions are:
- Can you recommend me mufflers which fit my explanation?
- Once I install it, what problems may I have?
- Will I need to tune a Power Commander? (I'm not planing to touch a catalytic converter)
- If it's unlucky I can do it myself, can you recommend me someone in UK, ideally London?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hi guys,

Many people (most of you), connect new mufflers in an angle. I personally don't like the way it looks.

I was thinking how realistic will it be to install a classic muffler, like on Triumph Bobber to the Rebel without a mechanic or professional plumber involved?

On this thread, @jmc was already using using a muffler I really like. I'm still waiting him to reply what exactly the name of those and probably the size.

The trick it, you cannot just position a new muffler horizontally, like the stack muffler is. You need also to connect a pipe somehow.

Recently I found this Universal Flexible Motorcycle Exhaust Tube, Pipe which makes me think, that I can simply do it myself.

My questions are:
- Can you recommend me mufflers which fit my explanation?
- Once I install it, what problems may I have?
- Will I need to tune a Power Commander? (I'm not planing to touch a catalytic converter)
- If it's unlucky I can do it myself, can you recommend me someone in UK, ideally London?

Thanks.
I have installed Harley Dyna mufflers on almost every bike that I have ever had. You can buy slightly used ones for $20.00 and have your local muffler shop bend up and size an adapter to fit for another $20.00.....Use Harley clamps and the muffler and adapter will outlast the bike. Install a plated heat shield over the adapter and you are good to go. Make sure you get a muffler that is pre-catalytic converter ......

Kenny G

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Mrded
Im sure the internal diameter size for the flexi pipe to fit on the end of the header pipe is 41mm. I will double check this for you!
You will need to check the external diameter size that will slip into the other end of the straight pipe you are buying, then check the flexi pipe manufacturer will have a pipe with both sizes.
You need to determine how long this flexi pipe needs to be, although you do have plenty of tolerance. I approximately estimate 300mm will be ok but depends on where you want the end of the new pipe to be in relation to the back wheel.
You will also need a bracket made to connect the new straight pipe to the original mounting point on the frame!
I can help you with all this
If you can't get the correct end sizes for you new pipe I can also make you an adapter to make it all fit.

Don't worry about tuning any pipe as long as it's not to restricted will run fine without any remapping.
You only need to remap if you remove the CAT.

Some people imagine they get more power because it will be louder and some people imagine it's not running right because some pipes will pop and crackle on the over run, like when going down hill with the throttle shut!
I think the extra sounds you get from a free breathing end pipe add character

You can come to me if you need to I'll will be happy to help fit this for you.(won't cost a great deal )
I live in Henley on Thames 30 mins from London outside of peak traveling times.
Send me a personal msg or friend request and I will give you my phone number

If you check out some of my Harley photos you will see the exhaust system I hand made for that.

Mike

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, wow! Thank you, @Mike for your help. Let me do some research first, and I'll get back to you.

I suppose I don't have an excuse of holding that idea anymore :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a talk with my Honda dealer, and a guy told me that "you cannot just put a muffler from Harley Dyna". Simply because it will not match the engine.

It will require me to remap injector. To keep Honda's warranty I'll need to by a Power Commander. Then I'll need a stand to set it up.
The budget will be about £1000.

I also asked him about a flexi pipe. He said not to even waste my time on it, it cannot be serious.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's a reasonable price although you can get a solid pipe with the correct angles on eBay for a similar price
Ebay item number 142157066787

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
It depends on the in diameter of the muffler.
For mine, it's 45mm so i have to take the one of OD equal to 44.5mm. So i have to adapt the ID diameter (44.8) with a specific join because of the out diameter of the manifold is 43 (see screenshot)

·
Registered
38 Posts
It depends on the in diameter of the muffler.
For mine, it's 45mm so i have to take the one of OD equal to 44.5mm. So i have to adapt the ID diameter (44.8) with a specific join because of the out diameter of the manifold is 43 (see screenshot)
It looks like it's the same as yours. So i will have to "fill" that 0.5mm difference somehow or it will work good if I tighten the clamp a little bit more?

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
While I’m waiting for my tail light bracket I decided to take on what I see as the big hurdle in adding a slip on. There are tons of aftermarket and fitting one is the challenge. I can’t talk about the muffler to pipe connection because I don’t know the muffler inlet size so for that your on your own. I got a 1 3/4” pipe today from a muffler shop 30 degree mandrel bend. It didn’t have the right amount of bend to sit the pipe horizontal to the ground and the bike. It angled out from the bike or made the muffler go higher as it went back. Here is what I can show to hopefully help fit one. I heated a piece of 1 1/2” pvc so I could bend it. I made an adapter to connect it to my pipe. I used my shop vac hose connector with a few wraps of duct tape. It fits in the bike and my PVC. After I heated the PVC NOT ON THE BIKE. I connected it to the bike and strapped it to the muffler hanger with tie wraps. As it cools I can adjust it to any angle I want. Once cool I can remove it and take to a muffler shop and have it made out of 1 3/4” exhaust pipe. I will have to add 1 1/4” to the end that connects to the bike and that will be expanded and sliced like the muffler end to fit over the pipe and that seal. The other end has to be whatever your muffler needs it to be. The length of the PVC is not how long the setup would be it’s just to help see the angle from the side and from the top looking down.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 125 Posts