Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the small Honda flyscreen (I think that is what they call it). It didn’t really block any wind, but I liked the look.

I live in the Seattle area, we have a LOT of rainy and cold days. I decided to go with the Memphis Shades Alley Cat windscreen with 7” cut out. The main reason was that it can be removed with just two thumb clips! That way during nice weather I just pop it off for a ride, but when I need it I have much better protection.

I received the package on Thursday, installed Friday and then we got a snow storm. So I have not been able to ride with it, yet.

I chose this size screen for a couple reasons. The 7”headlight space matches perfect.

Couple of install notes:

I did have to relocate the blinkers down a bit. The instructions called for them to be below the bottom clip, but I didn’t have enough wire for that. And I think it looks fine in the middle of the two brackets.

The bolt they gave to replace the turn signal mounting bracket bolt is too short. I will go to hardware store and get a longer one once the snow goes away. Right now I have them held by zip tie.

Two clips per side, they go directly on the forks. They are not super hard to install.

You can use several different Memphis Shades screens with the same hardware. That’s super cool. You could then get a second smaller one for more fair weather if you liked. This is the MEP5619 (clear). They make multiple colors if you like that look. They also have El Paso and Speed Demon sizes. They are very similar, but with different overall height. I might pick up one of the smaller ones for summer riding.

Look on YouTube for videos about choosing a windshield height. It has to do with your head position on your bike, and then measuring out a certain distance to make sure you can see over the screen. You shouldn’t be looking through the screen for your entire field of view.

This is the old one:

I will put the bag back on.

·
Registered
374 Posts
smart decision...function over form

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
thats definitely going to block a lot more wind for you ;)
good job on the install

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got to ride it today. HUGE difference at 60 mph. Feels like a different bike at Highway speeds. I have the screen down about 1.5" from the top of the forks and I was still getting some buffeting on top of my head. So I am going to move it up that amount and see how it helps. It also kept the wind off my hands, didn't expect that. Doesn't look wide enough to help there, but it really did.

And yes I really did go riding with snow on the ground (it was 45 and the roads were clear).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good ol' Memphis shades. Bought the same thing, but didn't have any issues with the clip on the signals (If memory serves, and it hasn't lately, the bolts from the stock bracket were supposed to be used, and they are long enough). Anyway, I got the Big shot version an had the same buffetting issue. I can also tell you that it took some tweaking to fix it. My brackets are touching the top triple tree, and I have the screen tilted ALL the way back. One of the youtube vids mention the angle of the screen being the same as the forks. Helped ALOT.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience, I've been looking for a windscreen to make my long rides more enjoyable, especially at the end on riding season when it start to get chilly.
It looks huge, but I think it's better for wind protection.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks huge, but I think it's better for wind protection.
It is quite large. But two thumb clips and it come right off for those really nice days around town.
I want to do more long distance rides, and I ride in the Pacific Northwest where 60 is a heat wave.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is quite large. But two thumb clips and it come right off for those really nice days around town.
I want to do more long distance rides, and I ride in the Pacific Northwest where 60 is a heat wave.
Does it look okay ? I mean the hardware without the screen.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Does it look okay ? I mean the hardware without the screen.
Here's what the Memphis Shades no tool trigger lock quick release windshield mount looks like...with and without windshield

Reactions: thinkmax

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here's what the Memphis Shades no tool trigger lock quick release windshield mount looks like...with and without windshield

Oh thank you for the pictures, honestly you can't notice if you are not looking for it, that's great.
One more question, did you have to lower your blinkers ? I have a 2020 and the blinkers are in a higher position than yours. 🤔
And how do you like your windshield with that black gradient ?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Oh thank you for the pictures, honestly you can't notice if you are not looking for it, that's great.
One more question, did you have to lower your blinkers ? I have a 2020 and the blinkers are in a higher position than yours. 🤔
And how do you like your windshield with that black gradient ?
Turn signals on the 2019 were mounted up against top fork clamp...they have to be lowered to the underside of the lower windshield mount clamp as shown in picture....wires were long enough.
I went with the Big Shot windshield and if I remember right there wasn't much color choice...I went with the black gradient...check their website for color options.

Reactions: thinkmax

·
Registered
31 Posts
Turn signals on the 2019 were mounted up against top fork clamp...they have to be lowered to the underside of the lower windshield mount clamp as shown in picture....wires were long enough.
I went with the Big Shot windshield and if I remember right there wasn't much color choice...I went with the black gradient...check their website for color options.
I see, thank you.
Yes I checked their website they have lot of colors, I was thinking to go with the clear one and 7" cutout to match the headlight.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I see, thank you.
Yes I checked their website they have lot of colors, I was thinking to go with the clear one and 7" cutout to match the headlight.
They have 5 windshields listed specifically for the Rebel that use the tool free trigger lock quick release mount all of them have no more than 3 color choices.

click this link

1 - 20 of 20 Posts