Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned this in another post, but thought I'd highlight it here. I'd put in 15k miles at the stock setting of '2' and finally got around to trying this adjustment. I'm only 140 lbs, so just thought it wouldn't make too much of a difference given the average at best reputation of the Rebel stock shocks.

But lemme tell you, after putting in about 300 miles at setting '3' it has been a huge improvement in ride comfort. What I've found is, even though the front shocks are still pretty spongy, going over bumps, or a change in pavement grade is now vastly better on the bike because the rear isn't reacting and compressing enough to bounce you the seat.

I've been eyeing Ohlins and YSS upgrades for a long time. Some posters on the rear Ohlins shocks have said the rear doesn't make as noticable of a difference as the front shocks. So, yeah, give the rear setting an adjustment and see how it feels. Probably gonna do the YSS spring kit soon enough (but next splurge is my Corbin seat with my ride-in custom appt with them!).

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've never actually got around to fiddling with the preload settings but have always been curious. I'm around 190-200lbs depending on the meal I ate before riding lol, and I always thought the stock setting is alright. Sure it's bouncy a bit...but you need that for comfort...no?

Wouldn't a higher preload mean less suspension travel, which means stiffer ride on your butt? Also...by upping the preload, does that lower the ride height in the rear?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get what you're saying @SC48 .

But to me the bouncy was uncomfortable. This is stiffer yes, but still absorbs the bumps with out that spongy bounce that I think lessens stability and feels not good.

If it lowers the ride it's negligible and not noticable. I'd just give it a shot and you may be surprised! And if you don't like it, you can adjust it back and get me thrown off the forum....

I've never actually got around to fiddling with the preload settings but have always been curious. I'm around 190-200lbs depending on the meal I ate before riding lol, and I always thought the stock setting is alright. Sure it's bouncy a bit...but you need that for comfort...no?

Wouldn't a higher preload mean less suspension travel, which means stiffer ride on your butt? Also...by upping the preload, does that lower the ride height in the rear?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Lol, get you thrown out 🤣. Alright I'll do it and report back after driving on a very familiar road where the bike basically drives itself around at this point 😂. Thanks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hey...adjusted the setting just now... likely won't ride till Friday.

Can someone confirm it's done correctly? How far within each section does it have to be? Like, does it have to be towards the middle or edge? Also, I know we obviously have to keep both sides on the same setting number, but does it have to be millimetrically even...?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure what you mean by millimetrically even, but as long as they're matched on both sides you should be fine.

This video is helpful:

Hey...adjusted the setting just now... likely won't ride till Friday.

Can someone confirm it's done correctly? How far within each section does it have to be? Like, does it have to be towards the middle or edge? Also, I know we obviously have to keep both sides on the same setting number, but does it have to be millimetrically even...?

·
Registered
2017 Honda Rebel 300 CMX300a
71 Posts
same here! I'm only 125lbs, but thought the rear was way too bouncy. I ran across the same video you posted. I figured because I'm lighter than a "normal" adult, I should go down to 1 from the stock setting of 2. Tried that and NOPE, even worse. Switched it back to 3 and so much better. It's way less bouncy and feels more stable. I was worried it would bother my back but i actually think my back feels better now that the bike isnt so bouncy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts