Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just got a chain service and the arrow on the indicator is not even close to being in the middle of the green section. The difference between before the service and afterwards is very minimal so I'm thinking they did a poor job. But I may be wrong.

Shouldn't it be in the absolute middle for the perfect tension?

Or is it OK to be anywhere in the green even if barely in it?

Also I feel like the chain is not very clean after paying $48 for the service.
I'm a new rider so I don't know if it's supposed to be like this but wanted to ask my fellow rebel riders.

I appreciate any replies/opinions

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
I think what you are looking at is the simple tag (in first picture ) that shows you when to replace your chain. Look at the left and right sides of the swing arm . You should see some line up marks. When a chain is adjusted both sides have to remain square with the swingarm so the bike tracks true. That is why there are adjusters on both sides.

Best to adjust chain on the high side than the low side because a tight chain can do damage just like a too loose chain can also.

If you look into your owners manual you should find how to adjust chain.

Reactions: GatorJoe

·
Registered
2021 Honda CMX1100 DCT
106 Posts
Hello I just got a chain service and the arrow on the indicator is not even close to being in the middle of the green section. The difference between before the service and afterwards is very minimal so I'm thinking they did a poor job. But I may be wrong.

Shouldn't it be in the absolute middle for the perfect tension?

Mine is barely touching the green and plenty tight about 5/8"

Or is it OK to be anywhere in the green even if barely in it?

Measure the play in the chain and as mentioned do both sides equally check the tracking as well ..

Also I feel like the chain is not very clean after paying $48 for the service.
I'm a new rider so I don't know if it's supposed to be like this but wanted to ask my fellow rebel riders.

Agree that chain is not clean at all unless you rode down some filthy roads before took these pictures ..

I appreciate any replies/opinions

·
Registered
170 Posts
I voting with nbsdave, you got took on the chain cleaning, there is a lot of crud shown in the pictures you attached. Offer to let the dealer fix it for you. If he doesnt...Name names here on the forum.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I voting with nbsdave, you got took on the chain cleaning, there is a lot of crud shown in the pictures you attached. Offer to let the dealer fix it for you. If he doesnt...Name names here on the forum.
and add a contact point for the dealer, maybe someone or a bunch of someones (hint hint) could get together and send a message about walkin their dogs in his flower bed.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Depending on the road surface, the chain could have gotten some of that dirt riding it home. Because Nrstar posted here and got replies, probably will help educate him as to what things cost and that he may choose to do them himself next time. Not only will he lean and know it's done to his satisfaction but he will also save money.

I think Nrstar's experience was of value so he got his moneys worth.

Reactions: synnamdammit
1 - 8 of 8 Posts