Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, newb here... my rebel is a faithful exonomical commuter, but it’s time for a new chain. Does anybody know definitively what size chain it takes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey. Thanks for the link! I’m across the pond in the UK so won’t buy direct from the states..
I’m on 5k miles and it just keeps on stretching... I clean quite regularly - was using muc off extreme lube but after I first noticed it slacking I switched to using gear oil every day on a 50 mile trip. I’m thinking the extreme cold and road salt has killed it :s ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
That seems very low miles for a new chain!
Is it now stretched so far that you can't adjust it anymore?

I ride all winter in the uk also but this is my first winter on my 500 Rebel as I only got the bike end of January.
only done 1500 miles so far!
I did notice when new the that the chain was already part adjusted! Suggesting that the chain was a little long to start with!
With this in mind I will be taking a link out of mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey. Thanks for the link! I’m across the pond in the UK so won’t buy direct from the states..
I’m on 5k miles and it just keeps on stretching... I clean quite regularly - was using muc off extreme lube but after I first noticed it slacking I switched to using gear oil every day on a 50 mile trip. I’m thinking the extreme cold and road salt has killed it :s ?
I put 17,000 miles on the stock chain on my R1, and the new one has got about 8,000 miles on it, and it hasn’t needed adjustment since the day I put it on. I even went from a 530 to a 520. Either the stock Rebel chain is garbage or you’re doing something wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well this is it... I have a bandit 600, the mk1 that I’ve started to rebuild as a project. That chain had about 10k on, but didn’t really stretch much at all - but that was a sunny day bike. I was first cleaning and lubing with muc off extreme lube out of the tins etc, that’s when I noticed the chain slacking so switched to using gear oil daily - but that hasn’t stopped it. It’s no different to how I maintained the bandit chain, however that was using summer lubes?? I’ve no idea?!

·
Registered
2017 cmx500
118 Posts
Has anyone come up with the definative answer yet? I would like to replace mine with a DID that will last but not sure if i need a 520 or 530 pitch and how many links are required? 130?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Has anyone come up with the definative answer yet? I would like to replace mine with a DID that will last but not sure if i need a 520 or 530 pitch and how many links are required? 130?
So, Last time I cleaned my bike (500). I noticed on the side of the chain "520 KL02" was imprinted.
As for Specified links, the Shop manual says 112.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just had to change mine today after 8,500 miles of use. Did it at home. I was riding more than occasionally but not everyday just to and from work and since it’s winter never did my chain lube even though I use chain wax. And a link got kinked. And not all the lube in the world could keep it from binding back up. I kept hearing and feeling the slight clunk clunk clunk when slowing down. So after 2 days of noticing this I upgraded the chain. The one I got was 112 link. It was exact fit and ready to install. Be careful press setting the master link as to not crush the rubber rings prior to flaring the rivets though.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Just had to change mine today after 8,500 miles of use. Did it at home. I was riding more than occasionally but not everyday just to and from work and since it’s winter never did my chain lube even though I use chain wax. And a link got kinked. And not all the lube in the world could keep it from binding back up. I kept hearing and feeling the slight clunk clunk clunk when slowing down. So after 2 days of noticing this I upgraded the chain. The one I got was 112 link. It was exact fit and ready to install. Be careful press setting the master link as to not crush the rubber rings prior to flaring the rivets though.
Okey, so I'm a complete noob in regards of chains for bikes.
But what does the number "520" indicate?
Never changed one before, but thinking about changing out mine here.
And I've found a place that recommends the same kind of chain you have in the picture, except it says "525" instead. But what does it mean?!
Can't seem to find any indication for that, not even by googling about.. :|

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have almost 12k km on mine about 7.4k miles and I haven't changed my chain, nor have had any problem with it at all, have u been keeping it? like some chain oil and clean from time to time ?

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
The chain size numbers differ cause chain link sizes get bigger. Basically the chain size number has to match with the sprockets.
Could you elaborate some more on this?
As I said, I'm a complete noob in this department, you might as well speak Italian to me :laugh:

Chain size number has to match with the sprockets, but which one? The front, the back, both?

And the bike takes/has 112 links, but if the number "525" indicates that the chain links are getting longer, then wouldn't that mean that the number of links will decrease also? Longer links = longer chain?

I find this strange, because the store that I found recommends both "520" and "525" side-by-side, as to say it really doesn't matter?

·
Registered
2017 cmx500
118 Posts
520 is the "pitch" of the chain. We have sprockets to match front and back. If you want to fit a 525 then you would have to change the sprockets as well. Not much difference between them but enough to cause you problems. 520 is fine and i can vouch for DID chains, hope that helps a bit but i am not a mechanic by any means.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts