Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Got my rebel 500 a couple of months ago now and have been lurking the forums, which has been super handy! Thought it be about time to sign up.

It's 1000km maintenance time and I've just finished cleaning the chain with some kero, water, and chain wax. I'm unsure about the amount of wax to apply. I gave it a good scrub with a chain brush and a decent spray all around with the wax. There still seems to be a bit of black grease in there also.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was always told that you can't have TOO MUCH chain lube. Granted there probably is a point where you could put Too Much on, but I usually end up putting 1/2-3/4 of a can each time I lube up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was always told that you can't have TOO MUCH chain lube. Granted there probably is a point where you could put Too Much on, but I usually end up putting 1/2-3/4 of a can each time I lube up.
Thanks for the tip!

The muck over your bike might tell you it was too much.
That is just dust, I was using some cardboard behind the spray. We get a few dust storms out here in the summer. so it can get pretty bad.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I hope you're joking because a friend of mine crashed his motorcycle due to excessive lube. He took it to a shop for service and they gave him a courtesy chain clean and lube. Turned out they slathered on a boat load of lube. When he rode most of it flung off, but these flung off bits didn't directly cause the crash. The lube that was caught in the chain guard gathered up and eventually dropped a mother load the size of an ostrich turd and THAT was what he slipped on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts