Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

During summer months I put on about 400 miles every two weeks, so I lube the chain every other week according to the owner's manuel.

However, during the school year, my daily commute consists of 2 miles, so I only end up putting around 100-150 miles on my bike per month. So, should I lube around every month or less often based on my mileage, or extend it even longer until I hit every 400 miles? I've been doing it once a month during the school year, and I would feel bad waiting longer...

Thank you for the help!

Mash

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm FAR from being an expert, but I would think you'd be able to stretch it out the full 400 miles. If the bike is sitting, that won't reduce the current lube that's on the chain, and sitting won't add any dirt.

·
Registered
742 Posts
it's more about what the chain looks like -condition wise-then what mileage, or how many weeks you've ridden. during the height of my riding I decided to go past the 600 mile recommendation, mostly because I could still see lube on the chain from my previous time, and it wasn't dirty, or out of adjustment.
now i just lube it every 1,000 miles and check the slack. works better for me that way, having a standard (and easily remembered) mileage increment.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Mash,

When to lube the chain when you are not putting a lot of miles on your bike depends on the conditions that you ride in and the conditions that your bike is stored in. I commonly get about 15,000 plus miles out of an O-ring chain. I use Dupont Chain Wax and it is not very messy compared to some of the chain sprays.

If you don't have grease flying off the chain or dripping from the chain I would continue to do what you are doing for lube.

Kenny G

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would suggest lubing twice a month while going to school. I have never heard of a chain failing from over lubing. :wink2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all,

Thank you all for the quick replies! So thankful for my Rebel 300... gives me an ear to ear grin every time I ride 🙂

I've attached two images - one showing the rear tire/swing arm and the other showing my actual chain. I think I may be overlubing -- comparing my rear tire to my front, the rear appears to have a ton of gunk on it... but I am unsure of determining if I have adequate lube on the chain. I use Dupont chain saver (thanks to your suggestion I read a while ago Kenny G) and I like it! However, when I spray on the lube, it appears fairly clear so I have trouble knowing if there is enough lube on the chain. Could you take a look at my chain and let me know? It appears darker and less shiny on the rollers. I may switch to Maxima just to see the difference.

Recently I also order the Grease Ninja chain oiler (size 520) - I'll let everyone know how that works.

Mash

Attachments

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Mash,

It is hard to tell from a photograph, but it doesn't appear to be over lubed. I do wipe the sides of the chain with a rag wet with diesel fuel before I lube the chain.

My tire gets like that so I wipe it off with the diesel fuel rag when I finish lubing the chain.

Kenny G

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Kenny G!

I'm going to pick up some Kerosene for chain cleaning and also to clean the gunk off of the tire rear tire. Do I need to use anything to wipe the kerosene off the tire after cleaning, or is it good to go?

Mash

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Thanks Kenny G!

I'm going to pick up some Kerosene for chain cleaning and also to clean the gunk off of the tire rear tire. Do I need to use anything to wipe the kerosene off the tire after cleaning, or is it good to go?

Mash
Mash,

Diesel Fuel is basically Kerosene, and much less expensive.....
I just go over the tire with the wet rag and then hit it with a dry rag, I do the edge of the wheel at the same time.

Kenny G

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mash,

When to lube the chain when you are not putting a lot of miles on your bike depends on the conditions that you ride in and the conditions that your bike is stored in. I commonly get about 15,000 plus miles out of an O-ring chain. I use Dupont Chain Wax and it is not very messy compared to some of the chain sprays.

If you don't have grease flying off the chain or dripping from the chain I would continue to do what you are doing for lube.

Kenny G
How you know when the O-ring goes bad? Is it visual, auditory, or something you feel as you ride? I clean and lube my chain religiously, if it only lasts as long as 15k miles I may be doing unnecessary maintenance.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
How you know when the O-ring goes bad? Is it visual, auditory, or something you feel as you ride? I clean and lube my chain religiously, if it only lasts as long as 15k miles I may be doing unnecessary maintenance.
Ryan,

The chain keeps stretching as it wears.
When you run out of adjustment you will need a new chain.

Kenny G

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ryan,

The chain keeps stretching as it wears.
When you run out of adjustment you will need a new chain.

Kenny G
Is 15k mi typical for chain replacement? Seems kinda low.
I only had to adjust once, and that was after a rear tire replacement and not due to chain slack or tightness

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Is 15k mi typical for chain replacement? Seems kinda low.
I only had to adjust once, and that was after a rear tire replacement and not due to chain slack or tightness
Ryan,

Chain life will vary depending on rider, conditions, weather and horsepower.
A friend of mine just installed a new chain at 10,000 miles on his 300, one of the O-rings was coming out of the side of the chain.
In recent years I have thought that 15,000 miles was pretty good.

Kenny

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've got a bit over 18K miles on the OEM chain on my CB500X. They are 520 DID chains made in Thailand and have not worn terribly well (CB500X forum), so my 18K miles is better than average.

I overlube, using ATF instead of oil (old dirt bike approach, the ATF doesn't hold grit like oil does), I've done this since it was new.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have been using a Grunge brush for cleaning the chain with kerosene or diesel.

Like Kenny G states, I use diesel fuel for cleaning bike parts in the parts washer, since it has a some oil in it and can lubricate after cleaning and helps stop rust forming on cleaned parts.

I use a grease ninja for lubing the chain, fits on the aerosol can lubricant and gets the most needed points of the chain that need to be lubricated.

I have been using Motul chain lube Factory line. If anyone knows of a better lube, let me know.

I have also found that a RK racing 520 chain stretches less than other chains I've tried. If you know of a better chain let me know.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mash,

It is hard to tell from a photograph, but it doesn't appear to be over lubed. I do wipe the sides of the chain with a rag wet with diesel fuel before I lube the chain.

My tire gets like that so I wipe it off with the diesel fuel rag when I finish lubing the chain.

Kenny G

What chain lube do you use any why?

Does it get lube all over the wheel and tire after the next ride?

Do you let it dry over night before riding?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
What chain lube do you use any why?

Does it get lube all over the wheel and tire after the next ride?

Do you let it dry over night before riding?
I use Dupont Chain Wax which I get off of Amazon.

I have 9000+ miles on my chain and have only adjusted it one time, about 2 flats on the adjusters.

Kenny G

·
Registered
111 Posts
And to throw anyone in a tizzy, you could just lube it once a month no matter what the miles are.

Its not like the chain lube police will come to your door if you happen to hit 1000 miles without lubing!!
And your chain will be just fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts