Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

New Brooklyn 2019 CMX500 rider here. Just got to my first oil change and waiting on filters and oil to arrive within the week but my next big task is to start outfitting my bike.

I want my bike to be outfitted so I can book it out of the city for some camping and all around traveling so i'm looking to get some feedback on styles of cargo that people have used.

I have the all matte black Rebel and i'm trying to stay in that style. I'm wondering is it best to get saddle bag holders plus a flat rack on the back to strap another pack to or is it better to get a sissy bar plus back rack along with the saddle bag stays.

Another question here is i've seen the canvas saddle bags that sit on the fender but it looks like most people have modded out the sides of the fenders so the bags don't get close to the pipes, are there any bags that I wont need to punch holes or use my angle grinder?

Looking forward to hearing from you all

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been using the SW-MOTECH SLC System. They are left and right bike specific fender brackets that have universal mounting points for any of their SLC gear. There is a wide selection of attachment options (scroll down the linked page to see some of them) that range from hard cases, soft bags, to cargo nets and fuel/water container mounts. Everything locks into place with a push, and comes off by pushing a lever, so you can mix and match without any tools.

You can also buy just the mounting hardware to make anything imaginable compatiable with the hot-swap system.

It is a bit pricey compared to some other options, since you need to buy the mounts and the bags, but if you like the gear and decide to switch bikes, you can keep using everything by just getting another set of mounts for the new bike. Some stores claim the luggage components side specific (ie. only mount on the left) but I have swapped all my stuff to either side without issue, just note that the larger side bag might be too close to your exhaust if you try to put one on the right side.

I use the Legend Gear LC1 & 2 soft bags, plus a side bracket and I think they look really good on the matte black 2019.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@SkepticMech thank you for this, looks on brand for the look i'm trying to achieve.

I think I'll be going this direction as I really like the look and the versatility of the mounts and bags. I can't tell from this picture but do you have anything on your fender at all? I'm thinking a flat rack to mount a tail bag as opposed to a sissy bar to strap to, I think it feels more sporty that way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry, not the best photo, but the only one I have on hand from this angle. I don't have anything up top, and you can see the mounting brackets sit lower than the fender surface, so you should be able to stick anything you want up top. They mount in the same way the Honda OEM luggage stays mount, so they should be compatible with anything those are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, not the best photo, but the only one I have on hand from this angle. I don't have anything up top, and you can see the mounting brackets sit lower than the fender surface, so you should be able to stick anything you want up top. They mount in the same way the Honda OEM luggage stays mount, so they should be compatible with anything those are. View attachment 32173

Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts