Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, today I decided to adjust the chain on my rebel 500 because it was little loose. I've done this once before without any problems. Today after adjusting the chain I tightened the left lock nut and the tried to tighten the right one but it just won't tighten. Could it be that I over-tightened it and screw up the lock nut? Can I ride the bike like this /at least to the nearest shop/?

·
Registered
106 Posts
So, with your Allen wrench holding the left side in place, the right side just free spins? If so, that definitely doesn’t sound safe to drive.

·
Registered
451 Posts
So, with your Allen wrench holding the left side in place, the right side just free spins? If so, that definitely doesn’t sound safe to drive.
I don't think they're talking about the axle nut, think they mean the adjuster nut.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi everyone, today I decided to adjust the chain on my rebel 500 because it was little loose. I've done this once before without any problems. Today after adjusting the chain I tightened the left lock nut and the tried to tighten the right one but it just won't tighten. Could it be that I over-tightened it and screw up the lock nut? Can I ride the bike like this /at least to the nearest shop/?
So you're holding the adjuster bolt with your allen wrench and can't turn the lock nut? Have you adjusted the chain before? Shouldn't be that difficult.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Here is a write up I did a couple years ago:

·
Registered
451 Posts

Torque specs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you're holding the adjuster bolt with your allen wrench and can't turn the lock nut? Have you adjusted the chain before? Shouldn't be that difficult.
I'm holding the adjuster bolt with the Allen wrench and can turn the lock nut but it just keeps turning and not tightening

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm holding the adjuster bolt with the Allen wrench and can turn the lock nut but it just keeps turning and not tightening
So the lock-nut (15) is threaded onto the adjuster bolt (4). You say it just turns but doesn't tighten: A) Are you turning the nut the proper direction? (not just loosening it completely) B) Or the threads are stripped. Would be pretty hard to do especially if you say it never tightened. C) You backed the adjuster bolt (4) out of the chain adjuster (5) and the whole thing is just spinning but if you did that you could just pull the whole assembly out of the swingarm.

·
Registered
251 Posts
So the lock-nut (15) is threaded onto the adjuster bolt (4). You say it just turns but doesn't tighten: A) Are you turning the nut the proper direction? (not just loosening it completely) B) Or the threads are stripped. Would be pretty hard to do especially if you say it never tightened. C) You backed the adjuster bolt (4) out of the chain adjuster (5) and the whole thing is just spinning but if you did that you could just pull the whole assembly out of the swingarm.

View attachment 33132
My guess he over tightened the adjuster lock nut and stripped it...it is only supposed to be tightened to 15 ft/lb... pretty easy for an inexperienced person with a 17 mm wrench to way over torque stuff.

OP...easy to check if you stripped the nut (15) and/or chain adjuster bolt (4)...hold the bolt (4) with hex key and back the lock nut (15) all the way off...inspect the threads...if stripped replace the parts by backing the adjuster bolt (4) all the way out removing it from the swing arm. The adjuster bolt (4) can then be removed from cap (6) by removing snap ring (18).

·
Registered
58 Posts
With respect, I wouldn't jump to the assumption that the OP over tightened and 'stripped' threads. More likely, the retaining Circlip, internal (18) has come adrift from Cap, Swingarm end (6).

The design is shocking and Honda should be ashamed of themselves.

Further, gentle and none forceful investigation is called for, remembering always that the components are made from metal that has the strength similar to that of a mature Camembert cheese.

Take it easy and good luck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
With respect, I wouldn't jump to the assumption that the OP over tightened and 'stripped' threads. More likely, the retaining Circlip, internal (18) has come adrift from Cap, Swingarm end (6).

The design is shocking and Honda should be ashamed of themselves.

Further, gentle and none forceful investigation is called for, remembering always that the components are made from metal that has the strength similar to that of a mature Camembert cheese.

Take it easy and good luck.
The OP himself questioned if he stripped it.... quote "Could it be that I over-tightened it and screw up the lock nut?" unquote

You yourself say the the components in the adjuster assembly have the strength of rotten cheese.

In any case the circlip has no effect on the locknuts ability to tighten up against the cap to lock the adjuster bolt.

When you hold the adjuster bolt with hex key and tighten the locknut against the cap you are pulling the flange of adjuster bolt against the cap (red arrows) to get the 15 ft/lbs of torque to lock the setting. The circlip is on the other side of the adjusting bolt flange and has nothing to do with this setting.

If the OP can keep turning the nut and not lock the setting the nut/bolt is stripped.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well it must be so then...

But ask yourself what happens if the circlip comes adrift?

Have a nice day
When you turn the adjusting bolt clockwise this pulls the chain adjuster on the axle to the rear to tighten the chain...the circlip captures the adjusting bolt to the cap providing a boss for the flange on the adjuster bolt to butt up against (red arrows) to accomplish the pull. Actually if the circlip was adrift, broken or not even in there the slightly loosened lock nut would provide the same function...ie you would still be able to tighten the chain. The circlip has nothing to do with locking the adjuster bolt to the cap with the locknut.

Another picture to show relationship of the adjuster parts.

Red arrow shows the side of flange that butts up against the inside of cap and when the lock nut is tightened it locks the adjuster bolt from turning.
Blue arrow shows the side of flange the circlip butts up against to retain the adjuster bolt in the cap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for the info. I haven't had time to deal with my problem - this weekend ill check which thread I stripped so I can either change the bolt or the lock nut. In the mean time I've been riding like that - I figure since I tightened the axle nut its ok to ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts