Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's this one: Motogadget Chronoclassic Tachometer - RevZilla
I like the design, it has no reviews and no Q&A though so I'm not super sure about it.

then there's this one: Hardline Hour Meter / Tachometer - RevZilla
Which isn't a speedo/odo/tach dash and is just a(really) small LED screen, it's a "peel and stick" so that has it's own pros/cons

--Extra Details--
Even though I found these two solutions, one being a whole swap from OEM Dash, and another being just a stick-on Tachometer, the stick-on is LCD so the viewing angles(iirc) would be limited based on the angle I mount it on. The whole dash swap doesn't have any community feedback though so it makes me a bit, not sketched out, but weary, it's a trade off too, I can have OEM LCD panel that doesn't have a tach, or I can go with an Analog dial that has a tach but no fuel gauge, I don't have the bike yet, but when I do get it I do want to have a tach of some kind so I can tell when to shift, I've heard of something very briefly a while back about a "knock test" , to my memory this just means knocking on the fuel can to know if you need gas? If it's simple, I can live with it, although I'd be going on long trips as well preferably (10hours+ one way is my idea of long) so I'd need to be resetting my odometer every 114 miles which isn't awful.
(est. mpg is 67, but to be conservative I'm calculating 57mph * 2gallons (2.96tank) to get 114miles, on a 652mile trip that's 5 stops (5.719...)

Short of it: I'm looking for Tachometer recommendations that (obviously) works with the new Honda Rebels (300/500) and would preferably max at 8k, I'd like a analog solution but am unaware of how many analog options I actually have, which is why I'm reaching out to this forum, Thank you for any, and all help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've used the hardline, there are some latency for the RPM display - not a whole lot but definitely noticeable.

As for the Motogadget, this thing is expensive. Here is a similar looking Ebay one:

Looks like they want to charge $500 for manuals :sneaky:
BTW, have you checked out Daytona's?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used the hardline, there are some latency for the RPM display - not a whole lot but definitely noticeable.

As for the Motogadget, this thing is expensive. Here is a similar looking Ebay one:

Looks like they want to charge $500 for manuals :sneaky:
BTW, have you checked out Daytona's?
Is Daytona's a brand of third-party stuff? If so, no, if it's a bike brand/model line, definitely no idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heya, sorry for the double-reply, but it looks like the Honda Rebel 500 or 300 is not on the list, the 2017, up to 2020 isn't listed, on Page 26 is where the "R" is for "Honda" , and it has no mention of the Rebel 300/500, and just for sake of sanity checking myself, on Page 21, the "C" section of "Honda" , between CBR and CR there's no CMX500 or such.

The pages I keep referencing are the "Compatibility" listings under "Description" tab, which is below the "Sponsored items from this seller"

Short of it: It seems nice, and actually thinking for a quick second, it sounded like you use it? I know that LCD panels have latency in general (in comparison to Analog) so I don't know if you were speaking generally, or perhaps you have it on a 250, or modified it to work on a 3/500 somehow., Thanks for the response.

Edit: oh, and if it does work for the newer 3/500 's rather than only the 250's, it has the style I'd be looking for just not analog, which is.. okay, if I'm skipping the analog approach and still needing to swap out the stock speedo/odo, I'd rather than just add the LCD Hardline.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
205 Posts
Who looks at a tach to shift? No one that I know of. It's all by seat of your pants feel and sound.
There is a tach in my diesel truck with automatic trans, talk about usless bling!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Who looks at a tach to shift? No one that I know of. It's all by seat of your pants feel and sound.
There is a tach in my diesel truck with automatic trans, talk about usless bling!
In terms of the tach being useless, sure...you get a feel of when to shift and roughly where you are in the Rev band eventually with practice. I found it to be not all that useful after about 20 mins, but it's still nice to have if it came from the factory. Otherwise yeah, save your money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts