Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I took my 2018 rebel to a mechanic and he said I needed to replace my rear brake pad, which surprised me because I only have 1800 miles on the motorcycle, can anyone show me a picture of how a brake pad is supposed to look like in good condition? Thank you

·
Registered
931 Posts
Rupert is correct, in no way should that happen under normal circumstance. possibilities include there was a defect, your foot touches the brake pedal while riding, or your mechanic wants to make money.

My question is, why did you go to a mechanic in the first place with 1800 miles? did you notice or feel something was not correct?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rupert is correct, in no way should that happen under normal circumstance. possibilities include there was a defect, your foot touches the brake pedal while riding, or your mechanic wants to make money.

My question is, why did you go to a mechanic in the first place with 1800 miles? did you notice or feel something was not correct?
I only took it to the mech because I stripped a screw for the passenger seat and wanted them to take out the screw for me. When he did the inspection he said my rear brake pad would need to be replaced in a couple hundred miles. I do not brake aggressively, just normal highway communiting

·
Registered
190 Posts
Right, no way this could happen unless your foot is riding on the brake pedal when riding normally.
Make sure your rear brake pedal is properly adjusted with adequate free-play (of about 1") before it engages the rear brakes.

Make sure your foot is off the brake pedal when riding normally.

Good luck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Like everyone said. Pads are still new.
The notch where I put the green line is, indicate when you MUST replace the pads (both sides should be same)
The red line is when it's RECOMMENDED you replace the pads.
The front pads should also have the same notch

I don't suggest you get new pads, get a new mechanic :grin2:
Or at least a second opinion

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts