Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just bought a tach at the local shop (installing tmrw). Was wondering if anyone had a tach on their rebel 300 and knew the redline, cruising rpm, and when to shift at? I know I should be listening to the engine and shifting then (which ive done thus far) but I do not want to damage the bike and would appreciate specific numbers, please cater to my noviceness =)

So far I plan on cruising between 3k-6k (pending feel) and going up a gear around 6k-7k. Im doing this because I read somwhere on these forums that these bikes rev really high. Please let me know all so I dont break this thing!

Also, I have a "shotgun" exhaust on this bad boy so its definitely too loud to hear anything else, which is why I bought the tach, lord knows an installation post is coming tmrw haha.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Just about every bike engine is made with high revs in mind. It's not so fragile that it ain't gonna survive if you stretch a gear or two. Besides, it has a red line limiter, so you won't actually be able to do any serious harm if you "floor it"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah ended up working today but I will have it installed when I get time by next week. I'll max out each gear for the sake of science and document speed/rpm for every1. Ill also find a good rpm to cruise in and see if this tach is actually worth anything lol. There are a couple differences between the rebel 300 and the CBR 300 but I believe for the most part its the same engine with more torque which means a lower top speed by like 10mph. Shifting should be similar though so I'll use the CBR300 as a base for some calculations. I wish some1 knew what the redline was, I know it doesnt really make a huge difference but I'm such a OCD freak that I won't let this go

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cool man, let us know how it goes, and maybe some pictures? I've never used a tach before, I learnt by listening to the engine. I feel you have more of a connection with the machine that way. Become one with the bike lol. The one thing I wish I did have as a new rider is a gear indicator. Why oh why didn't Honda put in one! =(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts