Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stripped 2 of my fender bolts by using the proper key and tools. Anyone else experiencing this?

Going to attempt to remove it. Getting real fucking annoyed of how easily these bolts get stripped. Never had it happen on any other vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't use a short hex key. Used a ratchet and extender attachment. Any clue on how to get this removed?

·
Registered
83 Posts
If an impact and larger hex doesn't work, you're likely going to have to use a dremel tool or file to make a slot to try and turn it out that way with a screw driver. You'll likely have to use a hammer to physically tap the screw driver in a counter clockwise motion to turn it out though as it likely won't just turn out easy with just the screw driver.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Often you can pound a TORX drive bit into the stripped Allen Head and then use an impact driver or breaker bar.

Don't replace that bolt with an OEM bolt, go to a hardware store and buy good Allen bolts.

Kenny G

·
Registered
11 Posts
You could try to pound a slightly larger size allen key in there, if they're stripped. For the others though, while you're trying to loosen them, put some pressure on them and shock them by tapping the allen key with a hammer. It helps alot, as I had to do the same when I installed my sissy bar this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Showmeguy66 Used a 6MM hex. My frustration comes from me using the exact size needed for the job and 3 of the 4 screws came out without any issues. But the 4th one stripped as soon as I turned it to loosen it. Had another screw (top of the rear fender for passenger seat) strip in the same exact way using a 6MM. Perhaps the screws that got stripped have way more thread locker on then than the others. Due to not having enough tools and space to get the job done, I am going to take it into a shop and see if they can remove the screw for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts