Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking at seats with springs and don't know what to think about them. So you know, I am new to motos, i just did 2000 km on my Rebel500. I just cruise at low speeds on perfect city streets.

The thing is:
- i don't like the original seat, it would need more padding;
- i don't want to mess the original seat so I can give it stock in a few years when i sell it;
- I wouldn't mind some extra height seat;

Are these seats any good?

I stopped at this one because it has sort of a cover under the seat, I don't want all that wiring under the seat to be exposed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solo-Bobber-Spring-seat-SG12-Honda-Shadow-VT-1100-C2-C3-Aero-Rebel-CMX-500/391955551046?hash=item5b425f1346:g:pf0AAOSw9tlb2O4r:rk:18:pf:0

Thanks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Spring seat is good. I fitted one of the 1930s/40s type ('Terry Lycette') sprung saddles to my Yamaha TDM. I had to build a sub-frame to carry it and it was set just a little higher than standard. I covered it in leather and no-one knew what was underneath. 11 springs between me and the bike was bliss.

The saddles come in different sizes and a larger one may be more appropriate, if you wished to go my route. Getting anchoring points for the rear springs was sorted by the sub-frame. The sub-frame also facilitates a covering. I used the bikes standard seat fixings to the bike.

·
Registered
332 Posts
(Cannot edit my post!) Just a PS - I wondered if the seat shown has springs radiating from the front to back like a proper saddle. If not, what do you sit on?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found another one, same built, different size.. I need to read some more to see which one is a better fit for the rebel. I'm just curious is somebody has this already put on.

@Robble10, the seat is support in the front with that bracket and in the back with the springs.. It doesnt have springs one next to another to be supported, those in the back are usually sturdy springs

·
Registered
332 Posts
@Robble10, the seat is support in the front with that bracket and in the back with the springs.. It doesnt have springs one next to another to be supported, those in the back are usually sturdy springs[/QUOTE]

I understand. I just wondered what you actually sit on then. So, is it a base sheet of plastic with foam under that top cover? I would want an explanation from the supplier about that because it is not springs. They do not show a picture of the underside. It does look like an interesting idea.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the new one i found , called sg11.

They appear to fit Harley's plug and play. This sg11 is a different size from the ebay one sg12. I'll try to determine which one is a closer fit for a rebel.
@Robble10 I think it's jut 2 metal plates, one below to cover the wiring under the chair, one on top on which is the seat.

I guess nobody installed these. .. It must raise you a bit, as only the seat has 4cm, and then there's the springs. I'm also considering the forward controls, but I wasn't sure how I'd feel about that they also raise 3 cm (those italian dm one, not sure of the name). This kind of seat would compensate for raise.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm also trying to go for looks and the look of an extra thick seat is not to my liking.

I measured this weekend, those sg11 and sg12 seats are not at all plug and play.

When you remove the seat, there is also sort of a small black box on the fender behind where you would put the springs.

I hope somebody will make a custom spring seat dedicated to rebel 500. That and the forward controls would make my day. Or summer. :))

1 - 10 of 10 Posts