Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
G'day all. Have added my "bobber seat" comments and pics to another discussion about seats (see other post under "Comfortable seat anyone"). Thought I'd share the add-ons that I've attached. I got some ideas from this forum (Thanks lads) and some from the inter-web. Hope I might inspire other new owners to add stuff to their bikes too.
Engine guards were from Givi, about NZ$160, didn't fit snugly but managed to wrestle them into place eventually. Quite solid, should protect much of the side of the bike if/when I have an "off." Heated grips are made by Oxford. You need to order the 'Cruiser' Oxford grips coz the handle bars are same thickness as the Harley. L/H side grip was a breeze. R/H side was a bitch to fit coz the stock plastic sleeve was not thick enough for the Oxford grip, but then you need to grind down the Oxford sleeve to fit the throttle without jamming the throttle open - could be disastrous when you need to chuck out an anchor when traffic in front suddenly stops. The later model Oxfords have a controller that can be directly wired to battery and should switch off the heat within 5 minutes of the ignition being turned off (see pic IMG_3534). Wiring suggestions are on this forum somewhere under heated grips. Bobber seat was a bitch to fit, so you'll need a good list of swear-words, drill set, bigger flat washers than those supplied, pliers to bend the base-plate into shape, and open-ended spanners to bolt the springs to seat and bike. Couldn't bolt the springs directly to the two bolts holding the condenser under the seat, so base-plate had to be purchased as well as the cheap-o small-arse seat (see base-plate at IMG_3540). Sits a bit too high now because I had to weld a higher bracket to get the seat to sit level. Cut out a rubber cover to fit over the battery compartment under the seat to protect from rain (pic no. IMG_3541). Need a tool-roll now to keep the tools from under the stock seat. El cheap-o saddle-bags are the vinyl leather-look pair with easy-clips hidden under the buckled straps. They're OK, bit small inside but usable. I keep my First Aid Kit and puncture repair kit in them along with rain gear and water bottle. Rear bracket incorporates a sissy bar so you don't lose the missus off the back as well as a place to fix another bag. I've bolted the rear bag to the bracket so its not easily pinched. Windscreen is a Givi one. Flat boards needed non-slip rubber topper glued on, and are Honda ones that I negotiated with the bike dealer. Have kept the original pegs for when I sell it, along with the original seat and hand-grips.That's it. Keep your rubber side down. Cheers.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts