Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
imo it looks a bit incomplete I mean a shorter fender would be nice at least no danger of scrubbing your bottom and getting all dirty from dusts and muds etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exhaust is still a work in progress but at least people can hear me for now. Parts should be here next week to finish the exhaust. Then I’m doing a custom headlight setup with three 8 in led rigid lights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I plan to do pretty much the same mods. Do you think there is room to zip-tie the license plate so it hangs between the taillight and tire? Also did you install a different flasher relay for the LED taillight strip?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I plan to do pretty much the same mods. Do you think there is room to zip-tie the license plate so it hangs between the taillight and tire? Also did you install a different flasher relay for the LED taillight strip?
there is room for the plate. I cut a piece of Lexan to size based on the frame angles, and drilled holes in it for the license plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Don't take this as criticism but rather an FYI. I just want to look out for my fellow Rebel riders or motorcyclists in general because as much as we like to mod things on our bikes it was put in a certain way and a certain place for a reason (the license plate being mainly for legal reasons). ANY mods done to the license plate are most likely illegal.

Just don't want you to be surprised when you're pulled over by a bored or rookie textbook cop if you proceed with this mod so you know what you're getting into. That being said, here's why your mod is illegal (take this as suggestions and not legal advise)

- It is hidden (hard to see)
- It is slanted (suppose to be perpendicular to ground)
- It is in front of rear wheel (all plates are legally required to be behind the rear wheel)
- It is not illuminated (needs white light to illuminate)

That being said, my own plate is ILLEGAL AF by all standards!
- It is not centered (needs to be center of bike)
- It is vertical (needs to be horizontal and legible)
- It is not behind rear wheel
- It is bent
- It is NOT illuminated
- It is cut (NO cutting or trimming!!)

So now you know, mod as you wish. Peace ya'll and ride safe!

P.S. @OneNastyRebel has his mounted similar to mine and was verbally warned by a female cop on one of our group rides as we were rolling along and she rode right beside us. Here in cali a lot of Harley guys do the same thing so most po-po wouldn't bat an eye. HOWEVER, the way that you want to mount yours will tickle most cops in the wrong places if you're ever right in front of them.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,243 Posts
Don't take this as criticism but rather an FYI. I just want to look out for my fellow Rebel riders or motorcyclists in general because as much as we like to mod things on our bikes it was put in a certain way and a certain place for a reason (the license plate being mainly for legal reasons). ANY mods done to the license plate are most likely illegal.

Just don't want you to be surprised when you're pulled over by a bored or rookie textbook cop if you proceed with this mod so you know what you're getting into. That being said, here's why your mod is illegal (take this as suggestions and not legal advise)

- It is in front of rear wheel (all plates are legally required to be behind the rear wheel)

- It is bent
- It is NOT illuminated

P.S. @OneNastyRebel has his mounted similar to mine and was verbally warned by a female cop on one of our group rides as we were rolling along and she rode right beside us. Here in cali a lot of Harley guys do the same thing so most po-po wouldn't bat an eye. HOWEVER, the way that you want to mount yours will tickle most cops in the wrong places if you're ever right in front of them.
varies by locality

but visibility is important whether legal or not - if they can't see your stop light, they may run into you

protect yourself

the brick isn't all that bad

·
Registered
913 Posts
Forgot to mention, I did add plate lights after that last pic was taken, used ones built into the bolts themselves so worked out well.
I do think some of those vary by state as well, but they're still valid points Ryan, for anyone else looking to remove the rear fender altogether.
for example in the code here it just states the plate must be "clearly visible", i guess that's open to interpretation. I see plenty of harleys etc that have vertical mounted plates as you do.
I feel like you can see mine from behind (as if you were sitting in the next car back) to make out the letters..
Only time will tell :)

·
Registered
17 Posts

- It is bent
- It is NOT illuminated

I looked up Florida laws. Didn't see anything about plate being perpendicular to the ground, rather it needs to be parallel (as in not vertical).

This bike is called the Rebel. The whole point of getting a bike, to me, is the FREEDOM

·
Registered
913 Posts
Connor- i'm going to pass on that, but I appreciate your faith in me :)
it's not hard at all really, especially if you're willing to see what you're able to create yourself. the sheet only cost a dollar or 2 at home depot. i just held it in place and drew a chalk outline of the form i wanted. you could also cut a piece of cardboard to size then lay it over the lexan that way. One thing to keep in mind when cutting and drilling any plastic style material is to go SLOWLY so there is less chance of it cracking.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts