Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blinker relay acting like "Emergency lights" after installing aftermarket tailight

Hey yall,

I installed an aftermarket taillight last year and has been great for me so far. The front turn signals blinked a little faster than stock I believe *which I could care less about*, but today i started up my bike and the front turn signals were flashing like emergency lights and the turn signal was going off on my dash.

Any idea what would cause this? Is this some sort of shortage?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey yall,

I installed an aftermarket taillight last year and has been great for me so far. The front turn signals blinked a little faster than stock I believe *which I could care less about*, but today i started up my bike and the front turn signals were flashing like emergency lights and the turn signal was going off on my dash.

Any idea what would cause this? Is this some sort of shortage?
you check the fuses? Check the electric cables? Did you ever buy an aftermarket relay for the LED?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you check the fuses? Check the electric cables? Did you ever buy an aftermarket relay for the LED?
I didnt buy an aftermarket relay. Not sure what a relay is to be honest. is this something that has to be inline with the running light cable or something?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I didnt buy an aftermarket relay. Not sure what a relay is to be honest. is this something that has to be inline with the running light cable or something?
I am putting my money on a bad relay. You need one to support the LED flash rate. I bought one from CustomLED and it works great. Also there support is awesome.

Here

The location is under the fuel tank (red circle). Photo by (Djdavies)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am putting my money on a bad relay. You need one to support the LED flash rate. I bought one from CustomLED and it works great. Also there support is awesome.

Here

Awesome thanks man. That at least gives me somewhere to start. I was going to unattach the aftermarket light and hook up the stock to see what it would do, but replacing my relay might be my first step.

Do you have to take off the seat to get to this relay?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Awesome thanks man. That at least gives me somewhere to start. I was going to unattach the aftermarket light and hook up the stock to see what it would do, but replacing my relay might be my first step.

Do you have to take off the seat to get to this relay?
yes, take the seat off to access large hex bolt for tank removal. Or just do what I did and hold the tank up while gf removed old relay and plugged in new one (2 minute job).

·
Registered
6 Posts
You need a correct relais to use the leds. There is an existing thread where the position of the relais is shown and also the correct relais.
Cheers

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you need to install a resistor on the circuit. The circuit needs sufficient load for the flasher unit to work. the LEDs cannot usually provide as much load as a regular lamp.
My old coworker told me this back in the day when I installed the aftermarket light. He said this is what is causing the *front* turn signals to blink faster than stock. I am curious as to why it would work for so long then all the sudden just make them act as hazards 24/7

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts

Here

Eh, no, that's not the one!!
It all the way up front, into that "triangle" area, down on the right hand side.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts