Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Bolt
296 Posts
Why isn't it in the owners manual? It's no more difficult to change than the oil and filter. At least, it should mention if there's a bleeder so the owner can decide if they want to do it themselves. Shouldn't need a service manual especially if it doesn't have a bleeder. I don't see one shown in the parts diagram.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Its not in there because it doesnt need to be done.
Its physics. Air will always rise to the highest point.
IF there is air in the cooling system it will get to the highest part, after the system is brought to a temp where the thermostat opens and the liquid can circulate for a bit.
The highest point in the cooling system is - the fil cap.
So when you go to check your work and open the fil cap, the air will be right there and you can top off and be done!

·
Registered
605 Posts
this is true on a lot of bikes' but i know 2 that it doesn't apply to, and one of them is a true pain in the behind to replace coolant and bleed

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
putting a sensor in the hose-thought some air might get in
Air can should work its way out through the overflow system I imagine. If you lost coolant, then top it off and check after it cools off after riding. The radiator cap is a 2-way valve to the overflow bottle. Make sure the overflow is filled correctly.

Sounds like you are adding a temperature sensor in the hose.

·
Registered
Bolt
296 Posts
The cap is actually 2 one-way valves. The high pressure valve lets the radiator bleed off the hot, expanding coolant (along with any air, assuming it's the only high point) and the low pressure valve lets coolant back in when radiator pressure drops below atmospheric pressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts