Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Rebels.

My 2018 rebel 300 with 6k miles has recently become louder at higher rpms and basically sounds like crap.

Also I'm noticing some minor vibrations that weren't there before.

I am waiting for delivery of oil change kit but don't really think it is related.
I also changed the air filter but no help.
And my chain is a bit on the loose side but don't think that's related either as it has been loose for a while. I plan on tightening next week when I get the chance.

Any one had a similar issue that was corrected? I would appreciate any insight. I know I'm probably going to have to bring it in for diagnostic test at mechanic but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post this here.

Thank you.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Not unusual for things to loosen up inside and outside a motor or exhaust. Checking for loose nuts and bolts are a good idea. Sometime after an oil change a motor will sound quieter for awhile. If Honda used any packing materials in the muffler than the 6k miles might be enough to eat up some of that packing materials. Valve timing would change in 6k a little bit. Not sure what frequency valve adjustments are needed on your Rebel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank for replies. I checked nuts and bolts and seems good.

There was a missing bolt on the right side of the radiator( I think it's the radiator lol) so I ordered a new one and put a temporary longer one to keep it in place. Will go for a ride soon to see if it made a difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure what you mean by a discrepancy but there's no decrease in power.

A mechanic took it for a ride yesterday and said motor and engine seems OK and sounds like metal is rubbing against something else but I don't think he cared to get too involved. That was my impression and I may be wrong.

I've realized that it sounds like it's engine braking while at high rpms. That is the kind of noise and vibration feel it has. Again there's no decrease in power it just sounds like that engine braking noise . That's the best way I can describe it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure what you mean by a discrepancy but there's no decrease in power.

A mechanic took it for a ride yesterday and said motor and engine seems OK and sounds like metal is rubbing against something else but I don't think he cared to get too involved. That was my impression and I may be wrong.

I've realized that it sounds like it's engine braking while at high rpms. That is the kind of noise and vibration feel it has. Again there's no decrease in power it just sounds like that engine braking noise . That's the best way I can describe it
Hmm if you're still getting the power then I don't think it's the clutch slipping but the engine braking sound could still be related to the clutch I guess. EDITED because I asked a dumb question.
Sorry haven't got much else to add, hopefully someone more knowledgeable gets involved. Best of luck!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Check both brakes for dragging and that they release when you press the brake hard.
Check the chain guard. I had mine come loose - made a good noise!
I have to agree with above that it could be an exhaust leak somewhere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm bringing it to get chain adjusted tomorrow. Was supposed to do it myself but stand from Amazon was faulty in its measurement so it didn't fit.
I'll check the chain guard too. I'll check the brakes but I would think if they didn't release the bike would be slowed down which it isn't.

Really sounds like the engine has an issue. Today when riding to work it seems up to 26 mph or so it's fine as long as i shift at like 9mph to 2nd and 3rd at 16mph but then at 26 or a few mph higher it goes from normal revving sound to some kind of struggling/rubbing/ vibration sounds etc.

Once I shift to higher gear it gets a tiny bit quieter but then starts again as I give more throttle.

It's so frustrating and annoying to not know what it is and also compared to how smooth and quiet it sounded to now have this new louder sounding bike. And not louder in a sounds good kind of way.

Also I just did oil change but no help. Which isn't a surprise.

For anyone curious I'll update when I get out figured out.

Appreciate all the replies.
Lol at loud rpms save lives.

·
Administrator
1,597 Posts
thanks - let us know

i'm somewhat confused on when the noise happens, you said it was during deceleration earlier but just now also during acceleration

does it only occur when the clutch is out or does it not matter?

does the tone of the noise change with speed?

does the noise change with it being in gear or neutral, clutch in or out, brake on or not, right left turn, any kind of science you can provide?

·
Registered
Bolt
45 Posts
I had an '82 FT500 and the inside header pipe (dual wall) broke. The outer wall didn't allow the exhaust to leak but the inner pipe rattled horribly at higher revs. It cracked up at the head so I could clearly see it when I took it off and looked inside.

·
Administrator
1,597 Posts
I had an '82 FT500 and the inside header pipe (dual wall) broke. The outer wall didn't allow the exhaust to leak but the inner pipe rattled horribly at higher revs. It cracked up at the head so I could clearly see it when I took it off and looked inside.
this is a good idea - maybe the welds came loose but i don't know if the 300 has double wall headers

i had an FT500 - loved that thing - sold it when i got a harley fxd - worst decision ever

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I said it happens on deceleration I mistyped. It's ONLY when accelerating in high rpms. It just sounds like engine braking (sort of?)
And feels similar in vibration.

When I pull in the clutch It disappears because I'm not giving throttle at that time. In neutral it doesn't make that sound unless I rev bomb in neutral. With just a little throttle in neutral I don't notice it.

As I give it more throttle it seems louder. Not so much a high pitch but more like a rumbling or rubbing or loud vibration type. Obviously a bike sounds louder as you give it more throttle but the sound is extremely noticeably louder than it ever used to be.

It's not deafeningly loud but again very noticeable compared to 2 weeks ago and not a nice sounding sound imo..

No difference with turns. No science I can think of as I feel like I am a logical person who likes to figure things out scientifically so I can't think of anything. I wish I knew more about mechanics and bike repairs then maybe id have better idea.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone near bronx area want to come ride it and see for yourself id love to know if someone who rides a 300 specifically would think it sounds more normal than I do.

Hell I'll even ride to NYC if someone might have experience and could possible tell me what's going on

·
Administrator
1,597 Posts
If I said it happens on deceleration I mistyped. It's ONLY when accelerating in high rpms. It just sounds like engine braking (sort of?)
And feels similar in vibration.

When I pull in the clutch It disappears because I'm not giving throttle at that time. In neutral it doesn't make that sound unless I rev bomb in neutral. With just a little throttle in neutral I don't notice it.

As I give it more throttle it seems louder. Not so much a high pitch but more like a rumbling or rubbing or loud vibration type. Obviously a bike sounds louder as you give it more throttle but the sound is extremely noticeably louder than it ever used to be.

It's not deafeningly loud but again very noticeable compared to 2 weeks ago and not a nice sounding sound imo..

No difference with turns. No science I can think of as I feel like I am a logical person who likes to figure things out scientifically so I can't think of anything. I wish I knew more about mechanics and bike repairs then maybe id have better idea.
ok, sounds like engine braking made me think you meant deceleration

if you can make the noise in neutral at high rpm and stopped it is being caused internally to the engine and a very bad sign - maybe a main bearing

·
Registered
295 Posts
THIS -
"Today when riding to work it seems up to 26 mph or so it's fine as long as i shift at like 9mph to 2nd and 3rd at 16mph but then at 26 or a few mph higher it goes from normal revving sound to some kind of struggling/rubbing/ vibration sounds etc. "

I hope you DONT pay such attention to the speed at which you shift and only did it to post here about the noise.
Going to 3rd at that low a speed has to log the engine I'd guess.
Wind that thing up a bit and loosen it up and maybe the noise will go away!

Also is the rear tire and chain straight?

How many miles on the bike??

·
Registered
85 Posts
THIS -
"Today when riding to work it seems up to 26 mph or so it's fine as long as i shift at like 9mph to 2nd and 3rd at 16mph but then at 26 or a few mph higher it goes from normal revving sound to some kind of struggling/rubbing/ vibration sounds etc. "

I hope you DONT pay such attention to the speed at which you shift and only did it to post here about the noise.
Going to 3rd at that low a speed has to log the engine I'd guess.
Wind that thing up a bit and loosen it up and maybe the noise will go away!

Also is the rear tire and chain straight?

How many miles on the bike??
op said 6k miles

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I already had 3 mechanics ride it although none went on highway or rode for very long but all 3 said it seemed fine. I definitely stand by the fact that it is louder than it used to be and sounds like it's struggling at times but I have come to believe there are no real issues with it.

Most reasonable explanation is my inexperience and perhaps shifting at less than perfect times/speeds.

Maybe I just beat up the engine a bit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts