Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cause right now I’m just using the ESR app. Eat,Sleep,Ride. Shows you all the riders in the area but it’s not rebel specific it’s everyone that uses the app. But I do like the ride tracking record function and playback scroll stats it tracks. Plus can’t beat free.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Think it's way too soon to try and locate _all_ the rebel riders, as the bike might need a couple of few more years before there is a fair amount of them out there?

·
Registered
814 Posts
So I guess my local dealer was telling me a lie when he said we can’t keep them on the floor cause they are great sellers. But yet I haven’t seen a single one around town. Hmmmm.

Well keep in mind each dealer only gets a limited amount of the bikes and some people went quite far to find a dealer with them in stock. The bike has only been out for less than a year now. So even if they keep selling out, it will be a few years before you start seeing them at higher rates riding around.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is true I did drive 1 hr and 30min to the nearest dealer to get mine. He said I got lucky they had only one black one on the floor and it just so happened to be a 500.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I guess my local dealer was telling me a lie when he said we can’t keep them on the floor cause they are great sellers. But yet I haven’t seen a single one around town. Hmmmm.
I know the local Honda dealers sold the Honda rebel 300/500 as quickly as they came in, each dealership had a wait list of 10-15 people.

·
Banned
247 Posts
I posted this in another thread, but figured it should be here as well to warn others.

As a software dev and a security analyst I can't tell you how dangerous apps are that let others see your location, either exact or approximate. These sort of apps make it easy for people to find you specifically, find your bike, find your home, work, hangouts etc. This make it easy to know when your home, at work, etc and makes theft trivial as well as other things.

I urge you and anyone else to turn off/disable any apps that provide tracking/gps data to other users. If you can't disable it then uninstall the app, period!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I partly agree with @Techsniffer. However it’s the same as with any other apps which share your location with others. Just keep basic rules, do not share your location with anyone and all going to be fine.

·
Banned
247 Posts
I partly agree with @Techsniffer. However it’s the same as with any other apps which share your location with others. Just keep basic rules, do not share your location with anyone and all going to be fine.
It's not really the same at all, many apps use location data for sure (images, post locations, geotagging, check-ins etc), but many times it is easily hidden, restricted to friends/family, or able to be turned off completely. Apps like the one mentioned in this thread provide real time location data to pretty much everyone (usually you have to find some hidden setting to turn this off, if you can at all since its the main premise behind the app) which is easily used by nefarious people to commit crimes, or to plan one.

As a bit of extra security I urge ANYONE using social media of any kind should always check all security settings and remove themselves from any sort of tracking/gps/geotracking before using it at all, and in the same of many platforms turn off any sharing of your posts to the public full stop. Turn off/disable the sharing of your information (as witnessed by the current scandal from Cambridge Analytica seeing information on at little as 87 million users, and some companies getting information on 2 billion or more users)

You should only allow your information to be seen by people you actually know like family and friends, because as someone that has had to use phishing, social engineering, penetration testing tools to test and equip companies to teach their users to be aware and not fall for tricks, it is VERY VERY easy to find out information on almost anyone, even more so people that use their phones to post media. I have shown a very smug CEO how I used his social media to access his bank accounts, guess passwords, find information for guessing secret questions, accessed his email and locked him out of his email and several of his financial institutions, after less than a day's work.

Security should be the top of anyone's list, if the device you use is connected to the internet it can be used against you without exception.

Kinda went into a bit of a diatribe there, but I seriously cannot stress enough that everyone should take the time to limit access on anything that touches the internet, use a VPN, use a secure browser (IE Onion/Tor), dont allow javascript/cookies, I could go on for days. But I promise you that 100% of anything you do online, any app you use, any information you share, your search history etc IS BEING TRACKED, CATALOGED, AND SOLD sometimes hundreds of times from a single company.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's not really the same at all, many apps use location data for sure (images, post locations, geotagging, check-ins etc), but many times it is easily hidden, restricted to friends/family, or able to be turned off completely. Apps like the one mentioned in this thread provide real time location data to pretty much everyone (usually you have to find some hidden setting to turn this off, if you can at all since its the main premise behind the app) which is easily used by nefarious people to commit crimes, or to plan one.

As a bit of extra security I urge ANYONE using social media of any kind should always check all security settings and remove themselves from any sort of tracking/gps/geotracking before using it at all, and in the same of many platforms turn off any sharing of your posts to the public full stop. Turn off/disable the sharing of your information (as witnessed by the current scandal from Cambridge Analytica seeing information on at little as 87 million users, and some companies getting information on 2 billion or more users)

You should only allow your information to be seen by people you actually know like family and friends, because as someone that has had to use phishing, social engineering, penetration testing tools to test and equip companies to teach their users to be aware and not fall for tricks, it is VERY VERY easy to find out information on almost anyone, even more so people that use their phones to post media. I have shown a very smug CEO how I used his social media to access his bank accounts, guess passwords, find information for guessing secret questions, accessed his email and locked him out of his email and several of his financial institutions, after less than a day's work.

Security should be the top of anyone's list, if the device you use is connected to the internet it can be used against you without exception.

Kinda went into a bit of a diatribe there, but I seriously cannot stress enough that everyone should take the time to limit access on anything that touches the internet, use a VPN, use a secure browser (IE Onion/Tor), dont allow javascript/cookies, I could go on for days. But I promise you that 100% of anything you do online, any app you use, any information you share, your search history etc IS BEING TRACKED, CATALOGED, AND SOLD sometimes hundreds of times from a single company.
Hey @Techsniffer your job sounds cool. Where are you based?

Sent from my Spaceship using Telepathic Technology

1 - 15 of 15 Posts