Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my bike a year ago and haven’t really rode it much. However, ready to do an oil change. What’s the best oil for a new bike? It’s got about 1,900 miles on it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Stick with Honda 10/40 or 10/30 depending on where you live.
Yup...manual calls for SAE 10w30. Just stick to Pro Honda GN4, it's like 9 bucks a quart, and I don't really care about what people say RE this oil vs that oil. It's just not worth the hassle. It'll make zero difference in literally anything...no oil will make your engine perform differently. Regular maintenance is what matters.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
205 Posts
$9 for a quart of oil? Never in my life have I paid that much! For small engines I like Castrol (about $5 per quart) As long as your oil is 10-30 and SJ rated it is what is called for by Honda.

·
Registered
356 Posts
$9 for a quart of oil? Never in my life have I paid that much! For small engines I like Castrol (about $5 per quart) As long as your oil is 10-30 and SJ rated it is what is called for by Honda.
Canadian (monopoly) currency. That's like 6 USD.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use Rotella T6 5w40 diesel synthetic for the wider range of protection than 10w30. I wouldn’t use a 15w40 as someone else recommended as 15w cold viscosity is higher than manufacturer recommended and will not lubricate a cold engine properly.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did you get the oil changed at 600 miles as per the manual?

As for best oil. My grandmother recommends this. Kind to your hands as well.

😸

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wow, Baldazzer, you have quite the sensitive engine there.
It can tell the difference between 10 weight and 15 weight.
And since your riding in temps above 50°F it wont matter!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I use Rotella T6 5w40 diesel synthetic for the wider range of protection than 10w30. I wouldn’t use a 15w40 as someone else recommended as 15w cold viscosity is higher than manufacturer recommended and will not lubricate a cold engine properly.
I just priced the Rotella T6 5w40 diesel full synthetic at a local supplier... 2.5 gal jug at $56.43 out the door...Rotella rebate on 2.5 gal jug $17.50 (good till Nov 30 2020)...with the rebate it comes out to $3.89 a quart.

And yes it meets JASO MA/MA2

At this price I'm gonna stock up!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just priced the Rotella T6 5w40 diesel full synthetic at a local supplier... 2.5 gal jug at $56.43 out the door...Rotella rebate on 2.5 gal jug $17.50 (good till Nov 30 2020)...equals $3.89 a quart.

And yes it meets JASO MA/MA2

At this price I'm gonna stock up!
That's a great deal!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, Baldazzer, you have quite the sensitive engine there.
It can tell the difference between 10 weight and 15 weight.
And since your riding in temps above 50°F it wont matter!
I was comparing 5w vs 15w cold viscosity, not 10w. It's a significant difference. I have no idea about "sensitivity", but I wouldn't use a higher "cold" viscosity than recommended to ensure adequate flow and protection at startup. And it's not uncommon to ride in morning temps lower than 50 degrees where I live. By all means, people are free to use whatever they want.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I was comparing 5w vs 15w cold viscosity, not 10w. It's a significant difference. I have no idea about "sensitivity", but I wouldn't use a higher "cold" viscosity than recommended to ensure adequate flow and protection at startup. And it's not uncommon to ride in morning temps lower than 50 degrees where I live. By all means, people are free to use whatever they want.
FYI...the 5W..10W..15W is the viscosity measured at 0 degrees Fahrenheit. If you're riding then you're tougher than I am! In reality at 50 degrees we're both using a 40 weight oil which is also above the manufacturers recommended spec. So it's a little ironic that you're busting my balls when you are unknowingly doing the very same thing and don't realize it. I'm in Southern CA with regular temps between 80 and 100 is why I had no problem choosing the oil I did. As I mentioned I have 45,000 miles on 15W-40 with no issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts