Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

Bell custom 500

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  CDL 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. Does anyone have this helmet? I know it's a half helmet but do your recommend it for a beginner or should I get a full face helmet?

#2 ·
I would go try a couple of helmets on and see what you feel most comfortable in.

There's benefits and down sides to both full face and open face helmets. For example open face offers you better visibility but obviously no protection on the face. A full face offers better face protection, but slightly limited peripheral vision.

There's no right or wrong answer beginner or seasoned professional. It's what suites you and your needs best.

#3 · (Edited)
I tried on a Bell custom 500 once, and found it extremely uncomfortable due to the rock-hard padding...same goes for the Bell Riot if you're considering that one too. Looked cool on the screen, not cool when I tried them both on.

If you want a decent cheap Bell helmet, try on a Bell Vortex. They're discontinuing it, and it's Snell M2015 too.

For a beginner, full-face all the way. Important to try it on before buying for a perfect fit. Have at least one helmet that fits perfect, then you can start buying helmets online and hoarding them like some of us here hahahahaha.

#5 ·
i used to wear an open face helmet, i hit a bumble bee going 50 mph literally an inch below my eye. felt like i was hit with a paintball gun and i almost crashed, i probably would of lost my eye if it was a little higher. I know i should of been wearing eye protection but i was just going down the street. i immediately ordered a full face helmet when i got home.

I'd recommend looking for a full face just because you don't have to think about eye protection it's just there.

#9 ·
I am a fan of Bell helmets, one of my favorites was a Bell Bandito Chrome half-helmet, but they discontinued them quite a while ago. Black helmets turn into ovens down here in the south so I generally prefer lighter colored ones, and the mirror finish on the Bandito really worked well.

#10 ·
As a wearer of glasses, I use an HJC FG-Jet open face helmet in the warm months and a modular HJC RPHA 90 in the winter. Both have full face shields, drop down visors, and the modular has the pinlock system. I couldn't get the glasses on with a full face helmet and couldn't get the helmet on while wearing glasses. The modular offers more protection vs an open face, not quite as good as a full face. That Bell model looks very basic, your head deserves better IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.