Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m buying my first bike ! I have some experience riding mopeds in Europe. I’m male 6’1 200lbs. I know the dimensions of the 500 and 300 are the same.

My intent is to use this bike as a city commuter. Occasionally taking it to the cottage. We have a truck for the long drives.

My question is regarding power. Is it a good idea to start at 500 instead of 300 ? And is a cruiser a good first choice ? These sales ppl keep telling me to go with a ninja or other sport bikes. I like the cruiser feel though.

Thanks for your help everyone

·
Registered
253 Posts
Chances are you will find the Rebel cramped or rather on the small size. I'm between 5'4-5'5 and the size of the bike is perfect for me.

I say the 500 is a great bike if you never want to have doubts about power...but you might be too tall of a dude for this bike.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Agreed with SLI above re: your height being the problematic thing with this bike. When it comes to power though, I went from riding smaller minicycles/minbikes/mopeds and had bought the 500 right away. Not a problem in the slightest. It is far from being too much power for a beginner, and frankly I think the 500 works much better doing slow speed maneuvers than the 300. I took the MSF course (after I already had my 500) and rode the 300 during it, and I was surprised at how much more effort the bike seemed to need on slow maneuvers for me. If you're going to go for the Rebel just go with the 500. More bang for your buck, and frankly that buck isn't much more than the 300. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m buying my first bike ! I have some experience riding mopeds in Europe. I’m male 6’1 200lbs. I know the dimensions of the 500 and 300 are the same.

My intent is to use this bike as a city commuter. Occasionally taking it to the cottage. We have a truck for the long drives.

My question is regarding power. Is it a good idea to start at 500 instead of 300 ? And is a cruiser a good first choice ? These sales ppl keep telling me to go with a ninja or other sport bikes. I like the cruiser feel though.uc browser shareit appvn

my issue got solved!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would say so given your size 500 would be better for you. The 300 would be perfect for me I'm 5'9 143 lbs. I like the ease of a lighter bike.
I'm planning to upgrade to the 300 eventually as I'm on a grom right now.
For me as well the 300cc would ensure I'm in the cheapest insurance bracket in Canada. 500 would place me in the 400-800 cc bracket. Shareit app vidmate apk

·
Registered
2 Posts
This was my first bike purchase as well. I decided to go for the 500 and for reference I’m about 200 lb as well.
The power is definitely not too much starting out. The torque is nice driving around the city because it makes it a little more forgiving of being in too high a gear and suddenly wanting to accelerate away from something. It’s peppy without being scary which is what I had been looking for in my first bike.
I wouldn’t have wanted to start with less power. It’s nice to have the power when you need it and it doesn’t make it too much bike at all. Drives great.
I’d be happy to answer any other questions as well. 9apps apk cartoon hd

·
Registered
27 Posts

My question is regarding power. Is it a good idea to start at 500 instead of 300 ? And is a cruiser a good first choice ? These sales ppl keep telling me to go with a ninja or other sport bikes. I like the cruiser feel though.

I live in central Indiana and do most of my riding on flat 30-45 mph city/county roads, with frequent rides on state 55 mph (90 kph) roads, and some Interstate 70 mph. I'm comfortable on all those roads but enjoy the slow county roads for a purpose of freedom. My 300 is happy with going 75-80 in the I-70 . I'm 79 years old and not in a hurry to get to the grocery store or the disc golf course. I welcome your thoughts. I'm 6ft-1in (122 cm)

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
6 Posts
May as well through my two cents worth in. Like several previous posters, I'm a six-footer, 200 lbs (1.82 M, 90 kg). I went for the 300 for several reasons.

1. I've settled in Vietnam. The 500 isn't available here.
2. Most of my riding is in town, generally short distances.
3. The local traffic is... problematical. Vietnamese people tend to regard road rules as optional. Defensive riding is a foreign concept. In rush hour traffic there are a large number of motorbikes on the road and traffic is sometimes handlebar-to-handlebar. The lighter weight of the 300 makes it a lot more maneuverable.
4. For road trips the highway speed limits are around 50-60 km/h (30-37 mph), which the 300 handles comfortably with plenty of power for overtaking.

In short, the 300 is absolutely perfect for my needs. The one drawback, of course, is the size. Occasionally (not often) I get mild cramps around my hip joints. I have to stop, stretch my legs and then continue. That's more a feature of old age (I'm 65) than the bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Safety is a priority in making 300/500 decision, not power, speed, rider's weight, etc. First time riders - do yourself and your families a favor - start with 300. You'll out-grow it within 1 year or so, but you'll get invaluable experience and confidence. Yes, you'll loose some money when you trade it in, but it's an inexpensive bike. For about $1,200 lost on trad-in you will get invaluable experience and piece of mind for yourself and your loved ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts