Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
The OEM batwing's height is roughly 14-15 inch from the headlight cutout. It is good enough to deflect wind off the chest and is very sturdy. But you still get a lot of wind to your face. I used a clip-on visor to remedy that when I am driving long distance. I took it out and switched to different aftermarket windshield that is more easier to remove if I want to ride naked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The OEM batwing's height is roughly 14-15 inch from the headlight cutout. It is good enough to deflect wind off the chest and is very sturdy. But you still get a lot of wind to your face. I used a clip-on visor to remedy that when I am driving long distance. I took it out and switched to different aftermarket windshield that is more easier to remove if I want to ride naked.
Thanks I'm only 5"4 just don't like to look thru the windshield. I guess I will have to try it to see if I like it or not. I am assuming I can get a shield custom made if I needed to .

·
Administrator
1,856 Posts
I have seen youtube videos where the plastic shield is cut and the edge polished. I agree it's not ideal to look through the windshield, better to have your eyes just above it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks I'm only 5"4 just don't like to look thru the windshield. I guess I will have to try it to see if I like it or not. I am assuming I can get a shield custom made if I needed to .
I'm 5'3" and the stock windshield on the batwing is well below my eyes. I added a Puig clip on and it also is below my line of sight. You shouldn't have any issue (except the for painful installation.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the BW fairing. At 5'6" the helmet buffeting with the stock windshield height is severe. At 70mph it makes my vision blurry. Today I'm going to put on a smaller shield that I cut from polycarbonate to see if it lowers the buffet zone.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have the BW fairing. At 5'6" the helmet buffeting with the stock windshield height is severe. At 70mph it makes my vision blurry. Today I'm going to put on a smaller shield that I cut from polycarbonate to see if it lowers the buffet zone.
As you stated your intentions in another post of getting a taller shield would be the way to go. Why lower the buffeting zone? The ideal windshield height is when you can just see over the top edge (you don't want to have to look through the windshield or any included extension) which will push the air up over your head/helmet. It looks like the Honda batwing also has a vent at the bottom which should help break the vacuum behind the shield.

Reactions: Bozo

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the taller polycarbonate cut. I'm learning how to form it. Practicing on some scraps. I'll need to make a mold and heat to around 250degrees F. I'm working on that. The short shield I cut out can be put on without forming. I'm putting that on so I can ride the bike until I get the taller shield formed. For me, the stock screen is just not viable, as it is not adjustable in height or rake. My experience with MC windshields is that rake as well as height is is very important. Shorter is sometimes better in regards to turbulence at the head level. On my 500 I had a National Cycle Deflector. When positioned as you describe, the helmet buffeting was nasty. I was able to adjust the rake and move the buffeting down to my upper chest area. The helmet was in clear air with no buffeting. For example on my 1100 with the stock screen, the buffeting is nasty. If I stand a few inches the helmet is then in clean air with no buffeting. The buffeting also lessens dramatically if I lean left or right enough (my body, not the bike) to get my head out of the turbulent air. Pics of the 500 are included with notations. I'll post a pic later of the short screen on the 1100 along with my impressions.
Tire Plant Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't like the OEM fairing. The head buffeting is too severe and I am 5'4". The clip-on visor helps but I still don't like the look. Plus it is a pain to get it on and off and I like to ride it naked sometimes if I am not riding far. Now, I am using the National Cycle Custom Heavy Duty and it is a world of difference. I rode 70 miles without a helmet and it was enjoyable!

·
Registered
2022 Rebel 1100 DCT
12 Posts
I don't like the OEM fairing. The head buffeting is too severe and I am 5'4". The clip-on visor helps but I still don't like the look. Plus it is a pain to get it on and off and I like to ride it naked sometimes if I am not riding far. Now, I am using the National Cycle Custom Heavy Duty and it is a world of difference. I rode 70 miles without a helmet and it was enjoyable!
Can you attach an image of the National Cycle you used, I have the OEM fairing and cannot find a custom maker to build a higher windscreen for it and getting very frustrated. Agreed, the head buffeting of the OEM accessory is unacceptable.

·
Registered
2021 Manual 1100 Black
81 Posts
I have the OEM fairing and windshield and am 5’5”. I get more air flow to my helmet, but don’t notice any buffeting. Helmet brand/shape might be the issue. With various windscreens and bikes, I’ve never had a buffeting issue. Just a thought.

·
Registered
69 Posts
With the Batwing and the stock windshield I have tremendous buffeting. If I stand, the helmet is in clean air and very smooth and quiet. I was also able to adjust the National Cycle Deflector that I had on my 500 to almost totally eliminate buffeting. So, I don't think the helmet is my problem, although I'm sure that different helmets can certainly be "smoother" and quieter than some others.
The small black "flyscreen" in one of my previous posts decreases the buffeting to a tolerable level, while still being a bit noisy and not providing much wind protection. I was not able to properly form the polycarbonate for a taller shield as I was attempting to do, so that's out for now. I just yesterday added a clip on windscreen extension. I'll ride tomorrow and see how that works. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RYLLVS1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Automotive design

·
Registered
69 Posts
I took the bike out today and tried a couple of different positions on the clip on. It's pretty effective at decreasing the buffeting. I'll try a couple of other positions to find which works best. It doesn't look as bad as I feared it would.

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Plant Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed the Batwing yesterday (took 2 days actually but that's a complete other story!) on my week old Rebel 1100 because I love the look of it. However, I find the buffeting is almost unbearable. My next step was to ride the bike without the screen installed to see if the buffetting stops and then if it has to fabricate a fly screen like yours. Please can you tell me if it is effective ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've removed the flyscreen ( it really wasn't wide enough) and installed an after market HD ABS screen available from ebay. I had to cut it down (from the bottom) and form it in my kitchen oven. It only requires two zip ties to hold it firmly in place. It's good for summer riding as it lets me get some air flow while blocking some of the wind forces on my torso. Turbulence and helmet buffeting is greatly reduced ( but not eliminated) from the stock shield alone. So, it's the stock shield and the extension for cooler weather and the cut down HD shield for summer. It's still possible that I may remove the Batwing completely for summer riding and then replace it with a National Cycle shield as in post #13 for cooler weather. I just don't know yet. I've spent so much money and time on the Batwing, it's hard to justify trashing it and starting over again.

Water Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant

·
Registered
3 Posts
With many trials and tribulations I eventually fitted a batwing to my week old Rebel 1100 and I am so surprised by how much buffet there is compared to the naked bike (which is very good). I have no idea what Honda are thinking of here ! I've had a few different bikes with a variety of screens in the past and they have always improved the wind situation rather than making it much worse ! Like you I have also spent a fortune on this add on so I reluctant just to tear it off. I will try it out without a screen fitted and if this is ok then I might leave it off and also cut off the two protruding metal struts and leave it at that

1 - 20 of 22 Posts