Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this is the right section to ask this.

When prepping my Rebel for winter, and removing the battery, one of the square nuts fell and I haven't been able to locate it as yet. I'm looking for replacements, but I'm not sure what the correct size is.

The Rebel 500 (2018) has a Yuasa TYZ8V battery, and so far searching for bolts for that model hasn't yielded any results. Does anyone happen to know the correct dimensions for the nut/bolt?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,163 Posts
sorry, that part isn't listed on the parts diagram

take the bolt to your local hardware store and test it on metric nuts - also you may be able to get a nut at your local motorcycle shop if they have some old dead batteries waiting for recycling

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, unfortunately I've tried both hardware stores (was told it's a unique size, and not something I'll find in a store), and the shop I purchased it from (nothing available to order). It seems the square nut is much smaller for the YTZ8V than other batteries.

·
Super Moderator
1,163 Posts
the thread inside would not be unique, probably M6x1.0 - the nut may be thinner than normal to fit inside the battery post - maybe get a nut that fits the bolt and get a file to make the nut fit

·
Registered
209 Posts
Could try a local bike shop. They may have a collection of battery nuts from batteries they changed out.

Most shops save them in case they loose or need one. I have some from batteries I changed or replaced over the years, just in case.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yes, unfortunately I've tried both hardware stores (was told it's a unique size, and not something I'll find in a store), and the shop I purchased it from (nothing available to order). It seems the square nut is much smaller for the YTZ8V than other batteries.
Do you have a Battery World near you?

Anyone that sells motorcycle batteries also recycles the batteries removed from motorcycles and will have some bolts and nuts they can give you.

Kenny G

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure if the YTZ8V uses smaller nuts/bolts than other bike batteries, but speaking with all of the local shops they didn't have anything on hand that would fit. The nut and bolt for this battery are noticeably smaller than anything else my local retailers had.

The solution turned out to be something I should have thought of initially: I reached out to Yuasa, and they're sending me replacement hardware.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts