Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked around and couldn't find any obvious threads that discussed common/basic tools needed for the 2017+ Rebel (or motorcycles in general) that are required for basic maintenance tasks.

I was hoping we could compile a list of these for easy reference for others. What I was hoping for was a type of tool and size if applicable? IE Hex size metric 7 etc.

As a new rider I would like to have a set of tools so I can take care of most little things, and maybe a short list of tools/items to create a 'Go Bag' that I might just have with me at all times.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have looked around and couldn't find any obvious threads that discussed common/basic tools needed for the 2017+ Rebel (or motorcycles in general) that are required for basic maintenance tasks.

I was hoping we could compile a list of these for easy reference for others. What I was hoping for was a type of tool and size if applicable? IE Hex size metric 7 etc.

As a new rider I would like to have a set of tools so I can take care of most little things, and maybe a short list of tools/items to create a 'Go Bag' that I might just have with me at all times.
Allen wrench set metric and standard. Also some sort of socket set metric and standard.

·
Banned
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel like you're going out of your way to miss the point.

I know many riders have a tool bag they always have with them, generally revolving around their bike, or friends they ride with. They contain specific tools, spare parts (tubes, plugs etc). I was wanting to gather a list of essentials people feel they like, need around the 2017+ Rebel. And also what are the common sizes for what tool for use on the bike.

Basically you're telling me "buy tools", which was not the purpose of the thread or my question. As a new rider I'm sure I'm asking a question other riders, new or old, might find value in.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sounds to me you need a cell phone to call AAA if you need a list of specific tools :grin2:

Just kidding. I think all you'd need is a size 8 or 10 socket and allen key set.
Being fuel injected I don't think there is much maintenance you can do on the side road.

All other tools stay in the garage.

·
Super Moderator
1,163 Posts
I want to have a swiss army knife like tool (or leatherman... is that obsolete now too?) to handle all possible needs on a bike. What would that look like and how many would you guys like to buy? I have a lathe and milling machine and can make stuff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I feel like you're going out of your way to miss the point.

I know many riders have a tool bag they always have with them, generally revolving around their bike, or friends they ride with. They contain specific tools, spare parts (tubes, plugs etc). I was wanting to gather a list of essentials people feel they like, need around the 2017+ Rebel. And also what are the common sizes for what tool for use on the bike.

Basically you're telling me "buy tools", which was not the purpose of the thread or my question. As a new rider I'm sure I'm asking a question other riders, new or old, might find value in.
I mean I get it. You just don't really need tools when you're out riding. Just get the kit from Honda that I linked above. Tha's all you would really need or maybe a tire plug kit and little first aid but really don't see anything you would have to work on.

·
Registered
789 Posts
i'm putting one together now and just plan to have a few in there for just in case stuff (i'm mostly waiting for my side bags to come in then i'll store them inside)
basically all i thought I might need so far, is 5mm and 6mm hex, 2 screwdrivers (for whatever), pin spanner wrench ( in case i want to change suspension on a trip or something), and a tire pressure gauge.
I have multiples of all of the above so i don't need to buy anything, but figure one or more might be useful in a given situation.

·
Registered
86 Posts
5mm hex. That's all I carry. Ball-head helps odd angles, and an assortment of extensions. Bits to fit small impact wrench and ratchets, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts