Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
I sure did!

Yes, there is a 2 cm long plug at the ends of the handlebar. They are a hard aluminium plug that's perhaps only glued in there? Can't really tell in the pictures, but on the throttle side where I got the grip off, I could see past the plug on one of the sides, and couldn't find any evidence that they are welded in place. But I could be wrong thou.

I just made good of the plugs, and drilled a whole into it, and insertet new threads into them, in case the aluminium would weaken with time and start to slip. Don't wanna do the job two times.
Was rather easy when I got the tools and parts needed to get the job done.
Did you drill or cut off the end of the plastic throttle boss as it's not open ended?

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I drilled completely through the weight but opened up only to to correct size as My mirror fixings are the expanding fastener type unlike yours that have a screw fixing & that you've put a Helicoil insert.

I really wanted the mirrors dropped below the bars as they look even better, but my arms obstructed the view & would also hit my legs on sharp turns.
Mine was also the expanding type, but I figured why not make good use of the lump inside the handlebar? lol

Yeah, the arms on your mirrors is a little long/high for that.
Gotta get them black thou! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Did you drill or cut off the end of the plastic throttle boss as it's not open ended?
I did both! lol
Drilled first, and then realized that I needed the full width of the handlebar when monunting the mirrors.
So i cut the end of, in the end. Be carefull thou, the plastic is of the hard and crispy kind, so one wrong move and the whole freaking handle might just crack.
Since the throttle kinda needs to be able to rotate freely I had to build the mirror out slightly with washers. Works like a charm! You'll just have to be carefull when thigtening your mirror, so that you still have a little freeplay on the throttle, don't wanna get that stuck...

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I didn't have to fiddle around to do anything to make the new one fit when changing. It just fitted perfectly.
Suprisingly there's no more play than the stock lever, as aftermarket ones are usually a little more sloppy

Could be that your brand/shape is made slightly different to the original.
I'd take it off again and compare with the old one.
How much pain in the down low area is it to change the levers? Never done it before.

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
Mine was also the expanding type, but I figured why not make good use of the lump inside the handlebar? lol

Yeah, the arms on your mirrors is a little long/high for that.
Gotta get them black thou! ;)
I may paint them yeah, the black ones were out of stock, but the alloy finish is growing on me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Finally got around to get the tools needed, so that's mirrors checked of the "to do" list! :grin2:
And oh my god, it looks sooo good <3
So much more cleaner look with everything on the same height on the bar ^^,
Congratulations and great job. The bike certainly looks cleaner!
I really like it.

Reactions: Lyoko

·
Registered
814 Posts
I didn't have to fiddle around to do anything to make the new one fit when changing. It just fitted perfectly.
Suprisingly there's no more play than the stock lever, as aftermarket ones are usually a little more sloppy

Could be that your brand/shape is made slightly different to the original.
I'd take it off again and compare with the old one.
Can you post a pic of the front of the brake lever? And a link to where you got them?

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Unless all my drill bits were blunt' I would have said the weights inside were steel!
Yeah they were more tough than I thought they would be. Was woundering when I was drilling them if I should just thread them and then bolt the mirror onto the handlebar, but I allready had the stuff needed to insert the helicoil, so in case the alu might weaken with time then I wont have any problem now.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yes true, I'm sure they were steel took a lot of effort & a long time
I am quite sure that it's aluminium, at least mine are. The way my drill "carved" out the lump I could tell by the pieces that came out, it is alu.
Not your everyday none threated alu, but durable and tough alu.

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
I am quite sure that it's aluminium, at least mine are. The way my drill "carved" out the lump I could tell by the pieces that came out, it is alu.
Not your everyday none threated alu, but durable and tough alu.
Ummm, well have to wait confirmation from others ha ha

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Their pretty cool mate, well done for perservering with those bar ends.

Actually the stock mirrors are not the ugliest I've seen, I kind of like them but bar end mirrors look great, I'm doing my mirrors this week & new clutch & brake levers.
I have been looking for clutch and brake levers, other then eBay, where did you find them? I am looking for something with a shorter throw.

·
Registered
16 Posts
sorry I didn't see the post from 6-14-17, but do you know of any US sellers? I am impatient and don't really want to wait for a month before I get the item.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts