Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AZ Sonoran Desert Heat and oil type 10w 40 or 10w 30.

The Western Honda Powersports on East McDowell Road Scottsdale AZ said they put Honda 10W 40 oil in all their bikes and if you buy a bike from them that is whats in it. The manual says 10W 30. He said putting in 10W 40 will not void your warranty.

They said that they put 10W 40 in because of the desert heat. Can anyone explain this to me how this works?

Thanks!

·
Registered
742 Posts
having lived in AZ, i can see that being reasonable. the short version is the 10 stands for the oil viscosity when cold; Zero C, and the 30 stands for viscosity at 100 C.
the 30 oil will get thin faster in the desert heat than the 40 would

·
Registered
118 Posts
AZ Sonoran Desert Heat and oil type 10w 40 or 10w 30.

The Western Honda Powersports on East McDowell Road Scottsdale AZ said they put Honda 10W 40 oil in all their bikes and if you buy a bike from them that is whats in it. The manual says 10W 30. He said putting in 10W 40 will not void your warranty.

They said that they put 10W 40 in because of the desert heat. Can anyone explain this to me how this works?

Thanks!
Western Honda is great!. Boughtt bike elsewhere in error but they've been all over it since. Maintenance, upgrades and repair after I went down.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts