Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi guys, newly registered to the forum, been lurking for awhile though since I got my rebel500 less than a month ago.

Totally new to riding let alone exhaust systems and forgive me if this is the wrong section to post a question regarding mufflers.

Here is my dilemma, I commute to work on the 405 in CA. Stock exhaust is wayyy to quiet for lane splitting, so I took off the muffler and rode for a couple days just to hear how loud the exhaust can be. It's freaking scarily loud, I had to buy earplugs. Now I'm afraid I'm disturbing the peace.

Is there a muffler out there that's quiet at idle or low rpm, but screams when you rev it?
Also for those of you with aftermarket exhaust can you let me know how loud it is compared to stock vs mufflerless? For example on a scale of 1-10, 10 being mufferless and stock will be 4.
Sorry if this is asking too much but I really want a new muffler that's louder than stock but quieter than no mufflers.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Is there a muffler out there that's quiet at idle or low rpm, but screams when you rev it?
Welcome to the party :p

Err, well, yes, sure, in the supercar section this is an actual option, as such cars may have a valve in the exhaust to make it louder when gunning it. On a bike however...
It all depends on the airflow in the exhaust system. More back pressure = less airflow = less sound. And vice versa.
It's a case of the saying that you can't have it both ways.

·
Registered
813 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Musarri Slip On Muffler Review…….
I ordered the Musarri Slip On over the weekend from Misano-moto through Amazon. I did not pay for expedited service. On Monday I received an email stating that my muffler was shipped. On Tuesday I received an email from DHL that my package was at the front door…..Record service, obviously not shipped VIA the USPS.

The Musarri Muffler was professionally packaged. Wrapped in bubble wrap, and sealed in a sturdy corrugated carton.
After removal from the carton it is obvious that this is a high quality product.

Removing the Honda factory muffler only requires loosening the clamp and removing the hanger bolt and slipping the muffler from the header pipe. The Honda factory muffler gasket can be carefully pried off.

Installing the Musarri Muffler is very easy. Make sure you slide the clamp over the header pipe before sliding the muffler into position. Slide the replacement muffler gasket part way down the beginning of the header pipe, don’t slide it the whole way against the stop built into the factory header pipe. Carefully align the Musarri Muffler with the header pipe, slide the muffler over the new gasket trying not to slip the gasket any closer than 6mm (1/4”) to the built in stop on the header. When the tab on the muffler is in alignment with the muffler hanger insert the hanger bolt and snug it up, position the clamp and snug the bolt. Torque the hanger bolt as to Honda specifications, or just make it good and tight. Torque the clamp bolt, or as I did make it good and tight.

I left the baffle in my muffler as I am not trying to annoy the neighbors or destroy my hearing.

I started the engine and took my Rebel 500 for a ride, before I shifted out of first gear I knew I was going to like the sound. The Rebel now sounds like a motorcycle. As I shifted through the gears, while warming up the engine, the Musarri Muffler had a nice deep growl to it. I rode several miles and noticed a pleasant sounding rumble as I decelerated, but no sign of after firing or backfiring.

When I returned home I double checked the hanger bolt and clamp bolt....

I am very pleased with my purchase.

Kenny G

Did you are do you think you will have to remap the fuel injection?

After using did your mpg change at all?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Did you are do you think you will have to remap the fuel injection?

After using did your mpg change at all?

Thanks
TR3,

I did not remap the fuel injection although I did make a slight modification to the Secondary Oxygen Supply to totally eliminate After Firing.

My MPG dropped about 5 miles per gallon initially. I blame this on running the engine out further before shifting gears to enjoy the sound from the Musarri. After a tank or two of fuel the mileage returned to about 70 MPG. After installing a windshield for winter the mileage has dropped back 65 MPG. It is probably worth it to block some of the winter wind.

The Musarri was purchased as a temporary measure because it was quite inexpensive, I am still hoping that Vance & Hines or another major manufacturer produces an exhaust system for the Rebel 500.

Kenny G

·
Registered
813 Posts
Has anyone tried this one yet?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-REBE...ash=item4d60531eb9:g:faMAAOSwrSdZgUVl&vxp=mtr

Love the look just wonder what it sounds like. Shorty nice exhaust I will definitely be checking your build thread.
I originally looked into getting a dual exhaust like that. But decided against it because the the time there wasn't anything that looked right to me for the bike. After doing my own out of an Emgo exhaust I ended up eventually spending the cash and buying a Two Brothers exhaust. And it is probably my favorite addition I made to the bike. Some people think it is a bit too loud, but coming from other sport bikes I actually don't mind the loudness. It is still quieter than just about every bike on the street, but it is quite a bit louder than stock..

Keep in mind, if this is the Rebel 300 changing the exhaust is gonna cause some issues. The 300 has the cat in the muffler. So for one it would be illegal in most states(though most places I have gone for state inspection have never checked. The second part is that the loss of the cat will cause a much bigger difference than when you change the exhaust on the Rebel 500. It is more likely the bike would require a possible re-tune depending on which exhaust you got.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You probably aware about this cheep option already:

Exhaust - £18.99
Exhaust Link - £42

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wonder what kind of research went into the Two Bros as well, I have seen what seems to be that exact megaphone from two bros on a few different bikes. I doubt there is anything too specific to the Rebel inside of it. With that being said it is most likely the best exhaust on the market right now. I'm not ready to make a purchase until a manufacture starts posting some dyno numbers and some real data that represents the R and D behind the product. The info on Two Bros website looks like its copy pasted for every bike.

My guess is that nobody advertises results or real dyno numbers because there is little to no increase in power with any system, if anything they seem to cause driveability issues rather than increase power. Now that all may change with a tune who knows.
I agree, there is only power loss from the Two Bros and all of the cheap Chinese aftermarket silencers, I’ve looked for data and there is none, only bs.
I have a 300 rebel since December 2018 and already know of 3 owners that reverted back to the original pipes as the replacement aftermarket pipes were too loud, increased vibration and reduced power but at least the Two Bros and Dan Moto are of good quality.
Recently on a run with another 300 fitted with a full Diablo exhaust system (cheap Chinese made) and the contrast from standard was clear, it was loud but ran like a pig. Slower, hesitant acceleration and incapable of matching my standard rebels top speed and acceleration and I am 65lbs heavier than the other rider.
So I’m still looking for a replacement without breaking the bank, I’ll probably make my own.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I like this, Did you try this? what did it sound like if so?
Initially I liked but now, and I still like the look, however I think original exhaust sounds better.
I don't like the pop from this exhaust, and without a DB-killer it's just too loud, cannot ride it without earplugs.

I also start recognising teenage gangsters on shity scooters, by the same exhaust.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dutch,

Vance & Hines will come through, eventually. I will be the first one line.

Meanwhile I am pleased with the sound of the Musarri.

I am thinking some of the after market exhausts from other Honda CB models may be easy to adapt to the CMX .

One of the headaches with changing the exhaust is there is no one around with a lot of experience modifying the electronic fuel controls to achieve the performance most of us will want.

Kenny G
Kenny - i sent you a msg yesterday about the Musarri but not sure where it went! Are you still using it or did you go with the Vance & Hines? I read about the paint chipping off. Was that your experience as well? I'm looking for something only slightly louder than stock so I'm hoping this muffler is the winner for me.

101 - 120 of 125 Posts