81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think that would do the trick, since the restricted airflow is what's keeping it quiet.
I would gradually drill up the holes that are in it, until I was satisfied.
I don't think I'm brave enough to start doing it, if I mess it up there is no way back, lol. Just curious if anyone has done thing like this
I?ve done it before on an arrow silencer. I drilled a hole in the bottom and a couple near the bottom on the side. Worked just fine. Also it?s easy to plug or weld it if you go too far. It?s not really ?no way back? as such. Go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I?ve done it before on an arrow silencer. I drilled a hole in the bottom and a couple near the bottom on the side. Worked just fine. Also it?s easy to plug or weld it if you go too far. It?s not really ?no way back? as such. Go for it.
Ofc, if you have the tools to weld it back up again, then by all means, drill all you want :laugh: But I'm guessing that not everyone here has that lying around, or even access to such.

·
Registered
172 Posts
We are talking about just drilling the holes in the baffle right? Seems like it can't be too detrimental. By the way, have you heard it when you're not on It? I heard mine when the shop drove it through the lot for a quick test and it was louder than I thought it was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Musarri Slip On Muffler Review…….

I ordered the Musarri Slip On over the weekend from Misano-moto through Amazon. I did not pay for expedited service. On Monday I received an email stating that my muffler was shipped. On Tuesday I received an email from DHL that my package was at the front door…..Record service, obviously not shipped VIA the USPS.

The Musarri Muffler was professionally packaged. Wrapped in bubble wrap, and sealed in a sturdy corrugated carton.

After removal from the carton it is obvious that this is a high quality product.

Removing the Honda factory muffler only requires loosening the clamp and removing the hanger bolt and slipping the muffler from the header pipe. The Honda factory muffler gasket can be carefully pried off.

Installing the Musarri Muffler is very easy. Make sure you slide the clamp over the header pipe before sliding the muffler into position. Slide the replacement muffler gasket part way down the beginning of the header pipe, don’t slide it the whole way against the stop built into the factory header pipe. Carefully align the Musarri Muffler with the header pipe, slide the muffler over the new gasket trying not to slip the gasket any closer than 6mm (1/4”) to the built in stop on the header. When the tab on the muffler is in alignment with the muffler hanger insert the hanger bolt and snug it up, position the clamp and snug the bolt. Torque the hanger bolt as to Honda specifications, or just make it good and tight. Torque the clamp bolt, or as I did make it good and tight.

I left the baffle in my muffler as I am not trying to annoy the neighbors or destroy my hearing.

I started the engine and took my Rebel 500 for a ride, before I shifted out of first gear I knew I was going to like the sound. The Rebel now sounds like a motorcycle. As I shifted through the gears, while warming up the engine, the Musarri Muffler had a nice deep growl to it. I rode several miles and noticed a pleasant sounding rumble as I decelerated, but no sign of after firing or backfiring.

When I returned home I double checked the hanger bolt and clamp bolt....

I am very pleased with my purchase.

Kenny G

Kenny,
I also have the Musarri. Have you noticed any backfiring now that it's been on awhile? I experience some when decelerating. Just curious if anyone else has.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Kenny,
I also have the Musarri. Have you noticed any backfiring now that it's been on awhile? I experience some when decelerating. Just curious if anyone else has.

KJD,

Now that the weather has cooled off I have noticed some after firing which is considerably different than backfiring. I spoke to a friend that tunes motorcycle racers and he didn't think it was anything to worry about.

After firing occurs when decelerating with the throttle closed because there is a little fuel entering the combustion chamber, but it is not enough fuel to ignite. The un-burned fuel enters the hot muffler and ignites causing the popping.

I was also told the the Honda OEM muffler is so effective that you may have some of the after firing without being able to hear it.

If you don't notice any surging when riding along with just a little bit of throttle and there is no hesitation when you first turn the throttle up to accelerate I don't think you have anything to worry about. I still really like the sound of the muffler.

If our Rebels had a carburetor I can fix the after firing with one or two attempts at changing the jets and pilot screw.

You can buy a Power Commander for about $500.00 that will correct this situation. If IIRC there is a setting labeled something like after firing during deceleration. I don't have $500.00 to spend at the moment so I an going to put the rumbling sound.

Kenny G

·
Registered
172 Posts
KJD,

Now that the weather has cooled off I have noticed some after firing which is considerably different than backfiring. I spoke to a friend that tunes motorcycle racers and he didn't think it was anything to worry about.

After firing occurs when decelerating with the throttle closed because there is a little fuel entering the combustion chamber, but it is not enough fuel to ignite. The un-burned fuel enters the hot muffler and ignites causing the popping.

I was also told the the Honda OEM muffler is so effective that you may have some of the after firing without being able to hear it.

If you don't notice any surging when riding along with just a little bit of throttle and there is no hesitation when you first turn the throttle up to accelerate I don't think you have anything to worry about. I still really like the sound of the muffler.

If our Rebels had a carburetor I can fix the after firing with one or two attempts at changing the jets and pilot screw.

You can buy a Power Commander for about $500.00 that will correct this situation. If IIRC there is a setting labeled something like after firing during deceleration. I don't have $500.00 to spend at the moment so I an going to put the rumbling sound.

Kenny G

It is definitely after firing not back firing. I've heard other bikes on the road do it so I wasn't too concerned but was curious if others were hearing it also.

I too, like the look and sound of it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I am pretty sure that the Musarri is made from stainless steel.

Sometimes it is difficult to get paint to stick to stainless. So far I haven't noticed any peeling or chipping....

Check with the vendor and see if the paint is warranted...

Kenny G

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am pretty sure that the Musarri is made from stainless steel.

Sometimes it is difficult to get paint to stick to stainless. So far I haven't noticed any peeling or chipping....

Check with the vendor and see if the paint is warranted...

Kenny G
I don't think I'll make a big fuss about it as I still like this pipe very much.. I think I'll just clean it off properly and re paint it myself.
Just wanted to let you know guys. Im sure that the good old British weather has something to do with it so as the fact that I do not have a nice dry garage, just bike shed on my front yard..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bajon,

If you have access to a bead blaster that will usually rough up the surface on aluminum or stainless steel for paint to stick.

Good luck,

Kenny G
Thanks for the tip Kenny, not sure I have anyone I know who has that, but at work we have maintenance department including pro painters so if I mess it up I still have a backup, lol :D

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Dutch,

Vance & Hines will come through, eventually. I will be the first one line.

Meanwhile I am pleased with the sound of the Musarri.

I am thinking some of the after market exhausts from other Honda CB models may be easy to adapt to the CMX .

One of the headaches with changing the exhaust is there is no one around with a lot of experience modifying the electronic fuel controls to achieve the performance most of us will want.

Kenny G

81 - 100 of 125 Posts