Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
....AND I have no ideal what I'm doing. Been looking at videos all day trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be removing to connect it. I don't want to screw my bike up so I left it alone but it's a handle bar mounted usb charger. Can I even use this for my bike? Does someone have detailed instructions on what I need to be removing/connecting? Any help would be appreciated.

For reference, I installed this charger here

·
Registered
206 Posts
You spelled "idea" wrong and your link doesn't work.

I was going to install a USB port when I installed the Battery Tender plug but wasn't able to find a reason to, my phone has good battery life and I pretty much never use GPS on it.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You spelled "idea" wrong and your link doesn't work.

I was going to install a USB port when I installed the Battery Tender plug but wasn't able to find a reason to, my phone has good battery life and I pretty much never use GPS on it.
This post was asking for assistance which you clearly don't have to provide so.....
My phone does not have a good battery life the reason I am trying to install a charger in the first place.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This post was asking for assistance which you clearly don't have to provide so.....
My phone does not have a good battery life the reason I am trying to install a charger in the first place.
Your link doesn't work but I used the part number in it and looked it up on Amazon...is this what you are installing

If so it has instructions on how to hook it up to the battery. Disconnect negative cable from your battery first then disconnect positive cable. Connect the fused red lead from USB cable to the positive post...the connect black lead from USB cable to negative post. Since the USB device has a power switch you can run the charger without the bike running, but remember to turn off switch when you park bike for any long period of time. Check your owners manual it should show you how to access the battery posts.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Your link doesn't work but I used the part number in it and looked it up on Amazon...is this what you are installing

If so it has instructions on how to hook it up to the battery. Disconnect negative cable from your battery first then disconnect positive cable. Connect the fused red lead from USB cable to the positive post...the connect black lead from USB cable to negative post. Since the USB device has a power switch you can run the charger without the bike running, but remember to turn off switch when you park bike for any long period of time. Check your owners manual it should show you how to access the battery posts.
I like that unit, if it mounted to the 1inch bar of my Rebel I might get it. I'm trying to NOT clutter my bike up, really I am lol.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I get that part but I can't not see the battery where the positive and negative cables would be located. Is it under some cover?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Nevermind. I found it. I looked through this book like 10 times before I came on here. Couldnt find it for crap.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nevermind. I found it. I looked through this book like 10 times before I came on here. Couldnt find it for crap.
The index in the manual makes looking for what page things are on easy...no need to thumb through the pages looking for stuff :)

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
182 Posts
....AND I have no ideal what I'm doing. Been looking at videos all day trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be removing to connect it. I don't want to screw my bike up so I left it alone but it's a handle bar mounted usb charger. Can I even use this for my bike? Does someone have detailed instructions on what I need to be removing/connecting? Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 33146
You are looking right at the top of the battery!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are looking right at the top of the battery!
I knew I was looking at the top but I couldnt figure out how to access the positive and negative points on the battery. I looked in the owners manual earlier but I guess I overlooked it. I see I have to remove the cover so I'll do that tomorrow when I can see. But thanks anyway.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You guys left me behind🤣 and as noted already solved problem (sleepin' time, ya know😌)
20201008_125320[3097].jpg
as OP noted, it's a bit cramped over there, so red circle. to neg terminal as you already noted; red- yellow lines indicated cables going to positive terminal. And... if you asking for that, maybe, just maybe find someone knowleable to just look over your shoulder and maybe help you with the job?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys left me behind🤣 and as noted already solved problem (sleepin' time, ya know😌)
View attachment 33155
as OP noted, it's a bit cramped over there, so red circle. to neg terminal as you already noted; red- yellow lines indicated cables going to positive terminal. And... if you asking for that, maybe, just maybe find someone knowleable to just look over your shoulder and maybe help you with the job?
Thank you! You were very helpful! I'm gonna have a friend take a look at it tomorrow so I don't screw my bike up or the installation.

·
Registered
251 Posts
View attachment 33155
The position of the battery positive terminal/cable is not where you have it indicated with red arrow- yellow lines. The positive terminal is in the area of the blue circle under the battery cover.

What you are pointing to is the air check connector laying on top of the battery cover.

With battery cover removed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi Kitsunegari. You have my sympathies my friend. The battery enclosure must have been designed by a lunatic! I have never known anything so badly designed. It is cramped. Having to remove relays and the two connectors is a bad joke. I had an equal nightmare just trying to connect a battery tender

Take care removing the two black pop out studs holding the top cover. One is under the thick cable - marked blue on the above photograph. The other is on the opposite side and can be seen on the photograph - you have to press down the bit in the middle. Might be an idea to stick some cloth or tissue in the surrounding areas because if it falls down you will have a devil of a job getting it out.

Make sure you double check the side panel is secure when finished. Moving the thick wire loom can dislodge it.

Good luck with the installation.

Honda's New Motto:

We Like To Make Life Difficult!

:)

·
Registered
507 Posts
The position of the battery positive terminal/cable is not where you have it indicated with red arrow- yellow lines. The positive terminal is in the area of the blue circle under the battery cover.

What you are pointing to is the air check connector laying on top of the battery cover.

With battery cover removed.

Ah, my bad, yes, below and under front bundle of cables, thanks for clarification. It looks like me never been there🤣

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Kitsunegari. You have my sympathies my friend. The battery enclosure must have been designed by a lunatic! I have never known anything so badly designed. It is cramped. Having to remove relays and the two connectors is a bad joke. I had an equal nightmare just trying to connect a battery tender

Take care removing the two black pop out studs holding the top cover. One is under the thick cable - marked blue on the above photograph. The other is on the opposite side and can be seen on the photograph - you have to press down the bit in the middle. Might be an idea to stick some cloth or tissue in the surrounding areas because if it falls down you will have a devil of a job getting it out.

Make sure you double check the side panel is secure when finished. Moving the thick wire loom can dislodge it.

Good luck with the installation.

Honda's New Motto:

We Like To Make Life Difficult!

:)
All of this! Thank you! Probably should have just gotten the factory one installed by the dealer. This seems to be a pain lol but I'll give it a try again. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
31 Posts

View attachment 33146
Just use the battery tender harness’ USB adapter. Battery Tender® USB Charger Adaptor

1 - 20 of 27 Posts