Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thirty years and more than half a lifetime ago, my now-long-departed grandfather bought me a twist-and-go Yamaha 180 scooter. Freeway legal and legally rideable without a motorcycle license (!), that scooter traversed California roads both city and country, and climbed and descended mountains my older, wiser self wouldn't have attempted. Three years into that adventure, the Yamaha was stolen and vandalized beyond repair. The insurance check paid for my train ticket to grad school; my riding career met its untimely end. Until...

...now? Middle-aged and better fixed financially, I find myself reflecting on those happy, mostly carefree days. In recent years a bicycle enthusiast, I find both my knees and my city (whose transportation system is a raised middle finger to pedestrians and bicyclists) failing me. A motorcycle – friendly and approachable as that scooter of yore – beckons, promising adventure anew: the Rebel 500 ABS.

This enchantment is all of three days old. I'm still in the information gathering phase—which is long for me. (I'm a professor. It's an occupational hazard.) So far, I like what I see. If all goes right, I'll let winter pass, do motorcycle safety training in April, and pull the trigger on a Rebel soon thereafter.

I've learned a lot lurking here these last 72 hours. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience so liberally. May I join the ranks of Rebel owners soon!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Lex!

I spent a lot of time doing my homework on the 500, watching videos, soaking up all the information I could.

I too had not been on a bike in years, almost 20 years. After taking my MSF class I wanted something that was entry level, but not something that I would grow board with either. The rebel 500 was my choice, and it was a great one.

I hope when you make your choice you pop in and post a pic, sure we would all love to see it.

·
Super Moderator
1,025 Posts
Thirty years and more than half a lifetime ago, my now-long-departed grandfather bought me a twist-and-go Yamaha 180 scooter. Freeway legal and legally rideable without a motorcycle license (!), that scooter traversed California roads both city and country, and climbed and descended mountains my older, wiser self wouldn't have attempted. Three years into that adventure, the Yamaha was stolen and vandalized beyond repair. The insurance check paid for my train ticket to grad school; my riding career met its untimely end. Until...

...now? Middle-aged and better fixed financially, I find myself reflecting on those happy, mostly carefree days. In recent years a bicycle enthusiast, I find both my knees and my city (whose transportation system is a raised middle finger to pedestrians and bicyclists) failing me. A motorcycle – friendly and approachable as that scooter of yore – beckons, promising adventure anew: the Rebel 500 ABS.

This enchantment is all of three days old. I'm still in the information gathering phase—which is long for me. (I'm a professor. It's an occupational hazard.) So far, I like what I see. If all goes right, I'll let winter pass, do motorcycle safety training in April, and pull the trigger on a Rebel soon thereafter.

I've learned a lot lurking here these last 72 hours. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience so liberally. May I join the ranks of Rebel owners soon!

I think if your going to wait until after April next year before you buy the bike, I'd make sure you don't miss out on an updated model.
Who knows when, but announcements could be Sept this year or through to June next year.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Welcome to forum

·
Registered
61 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Welcome to the forum Lex. Am 72 years old and have had more motorcycles since I was 16 that I even care to count. You will enjoy riding the Rebel 500 ABS. You simply cannot go wrong getting yourself one. :smile2:

You will find people here are helpful and friendly. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. We enjoy sharing experiences and mods on our bikes.

Cheers.

Reactions: jr_b17

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi there Lex.

Welcome to the forum. I'm only a new member on the forum and not as vintage as some of the old farts here (I'm only 70! :wink2: ).

I think you'll find the jump from your Yamaha scoot to a CMX500 a real learning experience.

Just take it easy for a few weeks and get to know how the bike handles, how you manage throttle/gear settings and as Yoda says: "Become one with the bike you must".

I've had many bikes over the years and have been very pleased with the 500 in the two or three weeks I've had it
While it may not be as flash as some of the street racer styled bikes, it's a great bike to enjoy for the sake of just riding, not racing.

Another benefit of the 500, although it's a twin, it reminds me of my single bangers (CB250RS, FT500, Yamaha SR600) as it has a "beat", rather than a "buzz".

Hope to see you on new wheels.

Cheers

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.