Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to make one that could be used without having to remove the exhaust.

First step was to lift the bike on an invisible stand to get dimensions. This was done by holding the bike upright with load straps and an upside down workstand.

The bike was lifted to "working height" with another mega load strap. I'm glad the garage beam took the weight!

With the required height measurements it was off to do some working drawings (well, sketches really).

Next I gathered some materials and tools.

And did some cutting and made some sparks.

And made some more sparks.

Then some drilling was required.

With all of the parts de-burred and cleaned, it was time to do a test assembly.

Not a bad result for a prototype. Next weekend it's off to my neighbour for welding and then another neighbour for professional painting.

To be continued.................

·
Super Moderator
988 Posts
That looks amazing Jim, can’t wait to see a pic of your bike lifted when finished.
Keeping us all in suspense too.

I would be interested in a copy of the drawings/assembly to make one, I have all those materials at hand.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great project. I would add some ends that match the diameter of the swing arm for secure lifting.
Thanks for planting the seed Keith. I wasn't happy with the flat brackets, so it was back to the drawing board.
After some ideas and sorting out dimensions and angles I came up with a solution I'm happy with.
And so I don't waste metal, I did a mock-up model using cardboard from a champagne carton.

This allowed me to visualise and confirm the feasibility and also how to do the cuts when I go to the metal phase.

A quick set-up to see how it would look on the stand.

The whole thing.

And how it looks from the lifting end.

If I get good weather tomorrow I can do the cutting. I have to do it outside away from the car and bikes or else there's a layer of black grit everywhere. And as it's comprised of steel and aluminium oxide I'm not keen to have it all over my garage.

Maybe welding on the weekend but I'll have to see how I go for time.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to mention it.
The inside of the V part will have rubber inserts bonded to both surfaces so that no bare metal will contact the swing arm tube.

·
Super Moderator
988 Posts
Will it have a lifting handle? say at 30deg upwards, as while lowering the bike, perhaps your fingers could slam on the floor whilst gripping the lifting end.
You would exert less of your physical strenght if you don’t need to stoop.

It’s looking good anyway

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will it have a lifting handle? say at 30deg upwards, as while lowering the bike, perhaps your fingers could slam on the floor whilst gripping the lifting end.
You would exert less of your physical strenght if you don’t need to stoop.

It’s looking good anyway
If I find that I need a handle I'll use some 25mm tube into the open ends of the jack.

Regarding squashed fingers, the lifting/lowering handle is on top of the 30mm tube side arms so there is enough clearance to prevent crushed fingers.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Getting closer, today I got back the pivoting crutches after my neighbour had welded them up.

A quick test fit and they look fine.

As noted earlier, the contact area will have hard rubber pads and the crutch will pivot about 45º in either direction. I might fit a spring or a tension washer to maintain it in the 45º "back" angle to mate correctly with the swing arm as it's lifted to meet it.

Maybe doing all of the final welding this coming weekend.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Fabrication all finished and all parts are ready. Next step is to lightly grit blast it and paint it. I've got a professional surface finisher lined up to do that.

I wanted the crutches to cant reward when offering up to the swing arm, so a compression spring does the trick.

When it's in working position, the spring is 70% compressed and not coil bound.

The inside of the crutches will be lined with hard felt surface protector to prevent any damage to the underside of the swing arm. The final version will be installed a bit neater than this test version though.

Nearly there.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
A quick functional test of the stand. It was quite easy to do one person, just a block of 4"x2" under the side stand, position the rear stand on the left swing arm and push down on the handle with my right foot.

From the rear. You can see that there's no problem with clearance to the standard muffler and the bike feels very secure. On the second setting and it gives the tyre about 20mm clearance from the deck, If I need more I can go up another 40mm. Getting it off was very easy. Hold the frame bar behind the seat with your left hand and pull gently towards the left side and lift the stand up and out with your right hand as the bike comes down to rest on the side stand.

And a shot of the clearance distance, makes the universal stands look quite clunky in comparison.

I wish my paint guy would come back from his holiday, the inconsiderate slacker!

:wink2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh my! Wish to see more of this kind of projects!!!

Amazing job JimInOz. I love each and every aspect of it, you should start your own production of it :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts