Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know these just came out so there is almost zero pre-owned Rebels in the U.S.

But I actually bought mine used from a guy that bought it brand new in 11/2017 and has only put 1400 miles on it.

The bike was dropped in transport, it was on a truck and the straps gave out and the bike fell over and caused a large horizontal dent in the gas tank on the right side. Other than that, I don't see any other signs of damage other than some scrapes on the clutch lever. Both mirrors are clean and both handgrips/bar ends are clean.

These Rebels came with a factory warranty correct? How do I make sure that the warranty is transferred to me?

Also, I'm used to doing my own oil changes on my cars. Should I change the oil on this my self as well? Or should I let a dealer do the first ?

Thanks all

·
Registered
674 Posts
Congratulations on the used Rebel. I check often to see used Rebels and they are VERY rare.

There is no reason not to do your own oil changes. It’s so easy even I can do it.

Sorry, i’m Not sure about the warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Will most likely have to contact the dealer where the first owner picked it up from.
But this should have been taken care of in regards of the paperwork for buying the bike though...

Did this damage happen before or after you bought it? If it was under transport to you after you bought it the warranty won't cover it. It will be deemed as "user error".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congratulations on the used Rebel. I check often to see used Rebels and they are VERY rare.

There is no reason not to do your own oil changes. It’s so easy even I can do it.

Sorry, i’m Not sure about the warranty.
Gotcha, i'm just not sure of the break-in procedure. This is the first "new" bike i've owned

Will most likely have to contact the dealer where the first owner picked it up from.
But this should have been taken care of in regards of the paperwork for buying the bike though...

Did this damage happen before or after you bought it? If it was under transport to you after you bought it the warranty won't cover it. It will be deemed as "user error".
It was from a private party.

The damage happened prior to me purchasing it when the last owner was moving. Not looking to have the warranty cover it, I actually just bought a tank cover from zeed and that should take care of that

Thinking twice, I have the original sales receipt from the last owner. That dealer was 5 hours away but I think they have a sister dealer in town, gonna shoot them an email and see what they say.....

·
Registered
674 Posts
Remember, and Los Angeles county even though it’s a private party sale you still have to pay sales tax which is approximately 10%. Plus you have to pay transfer fees and DMV fees

·
Banned
247 Posts
This is a 300 tho?
A brand new 2017 Rebel 300 is still $4400 ($4730 after destination charge), I can't see any way that the bike is worth any less than $3800-$4000 with only 600 miles on it unless it's been wrecked, dropped, stolen etc. Assuming this is a private buyer/seller anyway, heck a dealership will still give you $2545 for it or sell it to you for $3725 (via KBB), and we all know how they will low ball the crap out of your ride if your trying to sell it to them or trade it in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's how I bought mine for cheap, it has a big dent in the gas tank from being dropped on a truck bed and the straps failed.

I paid $3k for a '17 with 1400 miles. I'll gladly save $1700 from buying new from the dealer imo

·
Registered
88 Posts
Used bike prices tend to be all over the map because of the group of people that buy one thinking they're going to ride and then finding out that they won't. Seems how most people take loans out for toys nowadays, they realize that they're making a monthly payment and insurance for nothing and just want to offload it cheap. The majority want fair trade value but don't be surprised when you run into a completely normal outlier that just wants it out of the garage.

·
Super Moderator
1,114 Posts
Used bike prices tend to be all over the map because of the group of people that buy one thinking they're going to ride and then finding out that they won't. Seems how most people take loans out for toys nowadays, they realize that they're making a monthly payment and insurance for nothing and just want to offload it cheap. The majority want fair trade value but don't be surprised when you run into a completely normal outlier that just wants it out of the garage.
That happens a lot in this part of the country. Riding season is very short, they see something sitting in the garage they are making payments on and can't ride.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts